PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removed stock muffler PT Cruiser GT. It sounds great.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2007, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Removed stock muffler PT Cruiser GT. It sounds great.

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo GT auto stick. I just recently got it and the more I read the forums the more I want to do to it. been looking at the catback exhaust systems. Most run close to or over $500.00. Now I know the SRT-4s didn't use a muffler. They use the same engine as ours so I needed to find out what my GT sounds like without the muffler on.

The nice thing about the stock exhaust system is, it is the muffler is bolted on to the exhaust pipe with a clamp from the factory. One bolt and a little push and pull and the muffler is off the car. Plus if it sounds awful it'll go right back on and nothing has changed.

So I pulled the muffler off and started it up. I was shocked at how it sounded. I figured it would have been ungodly loud. It's not. You can carry on a normal conversation with someone standing behind it. It not loud but if you didn't know any better you'd swear there is an aftermarket exhaust on it. It's a really nice low deep slight loop at idle. Sitting reeving it up a little still isn't that loud and actually seemed like it got a little quieter at higher RPM. Letting off the gas you get the RPMs coming down and that performance gurgle most of us like.

So I decided I need to test drive it. Windows up you can hear the engine and turbo spool up easier. But even wide open throttle isn't that loud and still has a very performance sound to it. It also doesn't have a irritating drone I have read people talking about at HWY cruise speeds.

So I drove it home and decided I just saved about $500.00 because it sounds great and I'm happy with it.

I then took the muffler and cut the pipe entering the muffler off. I reattached the pipe from the muffler to the exhaust pipe still on the car with the factory clamp. I had a exhaust shop $20.00 cut a straight pipe that fits snug over the stock exhaust pipe and it now runs to the rear of the car. I installed an aftermarket tip for good looks and now you can't tell there it's a muffler on it unless you crawl under it.

It sounds great. It's looks good, and I just freed up so exhaust restriction removing the stock muffler.

In my opinion is sounds better than many expensive exhaust systems I have heard. It sounds closest to what a deep sounding flowmaster on a 4 cylinder engine sounds like. Not exactly but very close. Plus with no muffler no one can tell me a different muffler would have less restriction than none at all. Being as how turbos love free flowing exhaust my cars sounds happy.

So if you curious how your PT would sound with out the muffler, unbolt it and find out. If you like it you just saved a butt load of money. If you don't your not out any money because you can reinstall it.

Mine being a turbo, I'm not sure how a naturally aspirated PT would sound. But this turbo-ed PT sounds great.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 03:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Removed stock muffler PT Cruiser GT. It sounds great.

The srt-4 has a couple of 14" resonators in the midpipe just after the cat. The main thing about an aftermarket catback exhaust is they are at least 2 1/2" in diameter whereas stock is only 2 1/4". Stock is fine if you are staying at Stage 1 numbers. If you are going beyond S1 numbers then you are going to need a larger turboback exhaust.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Nov 2007, 03:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

By removing the muffler ....will that pass emissions test....as in NY?

tpsfoto@gmail.com
2005 Plum Vert GT Turbo HO
Nav, Chrome 17" Wheels 5 Speed
K&N Typhoon Air Intake, AOOgah Horn, Freedom Design Strut Tower Brace
Some chrome here & there....

2009 PT bought with Cash For Clunkers.....sold it for a
2014 Juke
Old 27 Nov 2007, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it would pass an emissions test because the muffler has nothing to do with emissions only sound suppression.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

"I then took the muffler and cut the pipe entering the muffler off. I reattached the pipe from the muffler to the exhaust pipe still on the car with the factory clamp. I had a exhaust shop $20.00 cut a straight pipe that fits snug over the stock exhaust pipe and it now runs to the rear of the car."

I hope you had them put a "hanger" on it and used the rubber to hang it the way the muffler war hung - otherwise, you get clanging if pipe hits the body and stresses on the exhaust pipe from too much room to move..

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Nov 2007, 03:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes they welded a small hanger on the pipe and used one of the original rubber attachment to hang the end of the pipe. I'm very happy with it and from behind the vehicle it looks and sounds aftermarket. Free is good.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

enjoy !!
Old 30 Nov 2007, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Removed stock muffler PT Cruiser GT. It sounds great.

WTG!
Old 01 Dec 2007, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same setup on mine. It does sound mean. I do get a slight drone when I let off the gas at 80 or so mph as it decellerates but other than that it sounds great. I always get looks, especially when I drive at low speeds in "1 and i get the pops and burbles on decel. Sounds bad ass. Now the car sounds as fast as it is. You can here the turbo spooling trough the pipe as well. Yeah our system is basically a cat and a pipe, no resonators like the SRT-4
2004 Platnium Ltd Ed. Turbo. Stage 1, 06 composite intake, Voodoo III MBC, Custom axle back straight pipe, Spectre ABTT, Magstar Race wires, K&N filter,Springtech 2\" drop, Silencers removed, iridium plugs. Best ET 14.224 @ 97.6 on street tires
Old 01 Dec 2007, 08:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well, there goes my plans for a borla.
I like free much better, free is good.