PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Are there any step by step instructions for mopar stage 2 wastegate and or dual stage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2007, 10:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Are there any step by step instructions for mopar stage 2 wastegate and or dual stage

I'm a new owner of a 2003 PT Cruiser GT. I'm automotive literate but not so much when it comes to forced induction. So I'm reading a ton of stuff about mopar stage 2 wastegate working on our PTs. I'm seeing posts about dual stage boost controls and of course Stage 1 kits.

So my question is will a mopar stage 2 wastegate do anything if installed by itself? If it will increase performance is it automatic or does it need to be dialed in (tuned). If I get a mopar stage 2 wastegate will the Stage 1 kit work with it? Then lastly do I need a dual stage boost controller with the first 2 add ons?

The car is a daily driver but I want a decent amount of power above what a stock PT GT has.

I did a search but nothing really answerers these questions and or explains once they are installed what needs to be adjusted and if anything needs to be monitored.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 04:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Are there any step by step instructions for mopar stage 2 wastegate and or dual s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkolb View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2003 PT Cruiser GT. I'm automotive literate but not so much when it comes to forced induction. So I'm reading a ton of stuff about mopar stage 2 wastegate working on our PTs. I'm seeing posts about dual stage boost controls and of course Stage 1 kits.

So my question is will a mopar stage 2 wastegate do anything if installed by itself? If it will increase performance is it automatic or does it need to be dialed in (tuned). If I get a mopar stage 2 wastegate will the Stage 1 kit work with it? Then lastly do I need a dual stage boost controller with the first 2 add ons?

The car is a daily driver but I want a decent amount of power above what a stock PT GT has.

I did a search but nothing really answerers these questions and or explains once they are installed what needs to be adjusted and if anything needs to be monitored.
Before you raise the boost you need a boost gauge. After installing a boost gauge you can go with a Stage 2 wga by itself. It will work with Stage 1.
Check out the Mod Bible here for guidance.
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Nov 2007, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Are there any step by step instructions for mopar stage 2 wastegate and or dual s

So the Stage 2 waste gate is adjustable, preset or does it adjust boost automatically? Is a stage 1 kit and the stage 2 waste gate going to be fine for a daily driver. Any idea performance wise what to expect?
Old 28 Nov 2007, 03:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
So the Stage 2 waste gate is adjustable, preset or does it adjust boost automatically? Is a stage 1 kit and the stage 2 waste gate going to be fine for a daily driver. Any idea performance wise what to expect?
The S2 wga is adjustable and perfect driveability for every day driving. You don't want to have a boost spike greater than 17-18 or the pcm will pull timing. I had the S2 wga and Stage 1 and it is a great combo.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Nov 2007, 03:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

So what PSI are you running yours at? Any idea what your engine is making HP wise now? I'd like to at some point in the future be, between 275 and 300 BHP. From what I'm reading that shouldn't a problem. It would be nice to beat a stock SRT-4 and or hang with a Subaru WRS. I may be dreaming but I'll stay hopeful.
Old 04 Aug 2010, 01:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
So what PSI are you running yours at? Any idea what your engine is making HP wise now? I'd like to at some point in the future be, between 275 and 300 BHP. From what I'm reading that shouldn't a problem. It would be nice to beat a stock SRT-4 and or hang with a Subaru WRS. I may be dreaming but I'll stay hopeful.

Hope springs eternal..... First problem, try finding a stock SRT-4! haha If you're PT is a daily driver, S1 and the S2 wastegate actuator will be fine. There is tuning needed, though, to dial in the S2 WGA. It has an adjustable link to tune your boost. Like Mean Green said, tho, you'll want some way to reliably monitor boost, and you should really have a wideband AFR hooked up, as well. Since you're an 03, I would definitely go S1 first. It will adjust the shift patterns on your auto (assuming you are auto), but, it will also get you the S1 injectors. They started installing S1 injectors in all GT's starting in 04, so you'll want them if you plan on playing with boost. Also, and this is for stock, S1, S2 etc, if you are an auto, do not boost in 4th gear. Use your autostick. If you need to pass and are in 4th, manually kick it down to 3rd. 3rd is good into triple digits, so no worries there. The clutch packs and OD hubs on these trannies are weak points, and in 4th, there are only 2 of the 4 clutch packs engaged. I suggest that you head over to PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. and peruse the mod bible threads at least. Have fun...

How come "The People" in the First Amendment means The People; "the People" in the Fourth Amendment means The People; but "the People" in the Second Amendment (ratified in 1791) means the National Guard (created by an Act of Congress in 1903)?
Old 04 Aug 2010, 02:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

you do know that this thead is over 3 yrs old.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 04 Aug 2010, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinsrt View Post
you do know that this thead is over 3 yrs old.
What's 3 years when your havin fun, sonny? Gimmie more boost.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.