Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
boost controller questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Feb 2008, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default boost controller questions

hey guys i need some help i just put my manual boost controller on last night and i did it how the bible tells me and i tuned to 16 pounds of boost but thats at wide open throttle. at higher rpms the boost gradually comes down, eventually to 11 pounds at redline. how do i keep my boost at 16 at high rpms. any suggestions?
Old 07 Mar 2008, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: boost controller questions

On mine I had a spring on the wastegate arm to increase spring tension, the stock wastegate spring is fairly weak, thats one thing. Another is a better flowing exhaust, but even with both of those it will still fall some in the upper rpm range. The problem is way too small of a turbo for the flow of the engine. Chrysler uses this small turbo to vitually eliminate turbo lag, unfortunately, it doesn't lend well to making more power.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 10:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB

this begs the question is there a bolt on turbo that is more apropriately sized to push the l/min flow required to keep the pressure up?
Old 08 Mar 2008, 03:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradude869 View Post
hey guys i need some help i just put my manual boost controller on last night and i did it how the bible tells me and i tuned to 16 pounds of boost but thats at wide open throttle. at higher rpms the boost gradually comes down, eventually to 11 pounds at redline. how do i keep my boost at 16 at high rpms. any suggestions?
If you are spiking to 16 on the stock pcm you really stand a chance of running lean. Do you have a wideband A/F gauge? Are you Stage 1? Dropping down to 11 at redline is normal for the stock wga.

The stock turbo isn't that bad. I'm running 295 whp on my SRT-4 that has the same turbo and with my SCT tune I hope to be around 320 whp.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Mar 2008, 03:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

supradude869, have you checked for boost leaks? Stock worm drive clamps on the intercooler hoses are junk and have been known to loosen up and cause boost leaks. You should also zip tie all vaccuum lines, too. A boost leak checker is a good thing to have and are pretty easy to make.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 25 Mar 2008, 01:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

do you guys know what a stock 06 h.o. gt should get was far as psi?....i installed a boost gauge and i double checked to make sure it was dne correctly but im nly measuring 9 psi at the absolute most. is it the cold weather? im thinking i should zip tie my vac lines, replace my clamps on my intercooler hoses and tell mean green he's right. but is 9 psi the norm it seems pretty low to me
Old 25 Mar 2008, 02:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by are2thejay View Post
do you guys know what a stock 06 h.o. gt should get was far as psi?....i installed a boost gauge and i double checked to make sure it was dne correctly but im nly measuring 9 psi at the absolute most. is it the cold weather? im thinking i should zip tie my vac lines, replace my clamps on my intercooler hoses and tell mean green he's right. but is 9 psi the norm it seems pretty low to me
When my '05 HO was brand new & stock, (same 230hp engine that you have}, I got 11 to 14psi cold 30s, to hot 85+ days, and just before I upgraded to Stage 1 at 2500 miles, I had noticed that the boost was not as good, that was when I found that the stock worm clamps are junk and some either had loosened up or were never tight to begin with, after replacing all the boost hoses with T-Bolt clamps, and wire ties on all the small boost/vac lines, and a PCV line check valve, I got all my boost back and then some, now I always have at least 14 on cold days and up to 17+ when hot outside (85 degree + days)

With good 93 octane gas on 50 to 70 degree weather you should have at least 11 to 13 or 14 psi most of the time, if you have no leaks. also if & when you test for boost leaks, also test your boost gauge against another "test" gauge if you can, I did not see what Brand of gauge you have, mechanical, electric, new, or used, but some are more accurate than others, and mechanical ones can loose their accuracy very easy with age or if dropped or mistreated before or after you get it.

MeanGreen's info is good, he will not steer you wrong..
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 25 Mar 2008, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

wow yeahh thats a big difference then the 7, 8 or 9 im getting. im definitely going to buy some t-bolt clamps and tie my lines this weekend. I bought a mechanical boot gauge straight from mopar so if i find its the gauge thats the problem i'll have to get another one. if i was to get an electrical one where do i hook it up?
Old 25 Mar 2008, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

any brands you recommend?

Last edited by are2thejay; 25 Mar 2008 at 09:00 pm.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oh and i have been using 93 octane fuel since day 1