PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stock air intake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2008, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stock air intake question

Hello,
I recently looked at the air intake on my '03 GT. It looks like the input tube to the airbox just sits sloppy over an oval hole from the left fender. On the outside of the wheel well, there is a gap between two pieces of covering that seems to be where outside air would get to the intake. There also is what looks like a small hatch that could be removed to get more air, but it feels like it will break in order to remove it.

Is this the normal setup? If so, what can be done to improve the airflow (besides a CAI) - do people generally put holes in the wheel well fairing to get more air? Does it help to secure the input pipe so it is tight on that oval opening?

I have already removed the baffle and cut down the snorkel inside the airbox. I would also like to replace the airbox-to-turbo pipe, but cannot find one. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Stock air intake question

Four (4) pages back in the threads in this forum.
intake`s
Old 31 Mar 2008, 01:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Stock air intake question

I wouldn't remove the cover in the wheel wells, it keeps the crap out. I plumbed a line to the bottom of my airbox from the fron of the car and cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox. I installed a coupling in it and attached the tubing to it. Air directly into the box.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 12 Apr 2008, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Stock air intake question

i am going to put a sponge type self stick weather stripping around the opening to block air from engine bay from getting sucked into crack . as for the ttab turbo to air box tube , i did somthing very unique and effective . i took off old pipe and cut it in half withe a mitre saw and cut the hard round section out of the pipe with the built in baffle. then i put a heavy duty 3" black rubber coupler from home depot on the parts to bridge the gap . seems to flow much better and i can hear my stock blow off valve and wastegate now . and it looks stock . i now am deciding what to do on the inner cooler pipes to harden them .