Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Want Gurggle exhaust sound w/ stock sys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2008, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Want Gurggle exhaust sound w/ stock sys

Help, I have read and read for 3 days (searches). I now have Stage 1 and want the gurggle sound you get from a less restrictive exhaust system. I am not going above Stage 1 mods. My thoughts, as result of all the reading, is perhaps to remove the stock muffler and replace with a straight pipe. Then add resonators to quiet the sound on the stock 2 1/4" exhaust. I do not want it loud (all relative) it can be a little louder than stock, but again I want the gurggle when I let off the gas. I have an 06 autostick. And the main thing is no drone! Is what I want possible? Has anyone here done this, if so, how many or what size resonators or muffler? Any help based on your experience would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks, Greg
Old 13 May 2008, 08:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Want Gurggle exhaust sound w/ stock sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming500 View Post
Help, I have read and read for 3 days (searches). I now have Stage 1 and want the gurggle sound you get from a less restrictive exhaust system. I am not going above Stage 1 mods. My thoughts, as result of all the reading, is perhaps to remove the stock muffler and replace with a straight pipe. Then add resonators to quiet the sound on the stock 2 1/4" exhaust. I do not want it loud (all relative) it can be a little louder than stock, but again I want the gurggle when I let off the gas. I have an 06 autostick. And the main thing is no drone! Is what I want possible? Has anyone here done this, if so, how many or what size resonators or muffler? Any help based on your experience would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks, Greg
2 days ago i changed out the stock muffler and pipes and put
a 2.5 in catback stright pipe and the car is still quiet when idling
but has the stock SRT snaps, gargle, and pops when driving and WOT

you can just delete the muffler and reuse the stock tip
and that should work but a bigger exhaust will improve your turbo responce.

if you wanna go all out and stay some what quite and get good response,
is 3in O2 housing back exhaust. get an 3in MPX O2 housing and 3 in SRT down pipe and take it to an exhaust shop and have them fabacrate the rest 3in and add a Magnaflow muffler for a great sound and less restrictive exhaust.

Modern Performance also sells 3in and down Resonators

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 14 May 2008, 09:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Want Gurggle exhaust sound w/ stock sys

For now I just took off the muffler and put on a vibrant resonator ( bought at modernperformance.com ) in its place with a 2.5inch tip. Has a great deep sound at half to full throttle that does not cause a ton of droan at highway speeds. Slightly louder then stock at idle but not much, only when you get on the throttle. Turbo seems to spool up a little bit better. Right after I did that I took a 3 1/2 hour trip in it and never got anoyyed with it. Believe it or not I got a little better gas mileage on the highway. Deff. worth it if you are just wanting some sound added to your cruiser.

In two weeks I'll have my exhaust system ready to be installed that consist of a mpx ( modern performance ) 3inch o2, CHQ 3inch dp with a magnaflow cat, quick time cut out after the CAT, 2.5 piping routed to the side with just a resonator to quiet things down a tad

PS I have just one 12'' resonator on it. Two might make it just as quiet as stock. A slightly longer 14 to 16'' resonator will make it less loud then a 12'' Let me know if you want a Sound clip. Ill send you one of my 05 HO.