Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
upcharge pipe deterioration WARNING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2008, 12:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default upcharge pipe deterioration WARNING

I just joined the list. I've been lurking for quite awhile. I discovered a condition today that warrants joining and posting this as a warning to others.

I've got a 2004 Series 3 Dream Cruiser, 220 hp turbo with manual trans. About a year ago it started throwing P1188 codes and seemed down on power. I had the car checked out and no problem could be found.

About two months ago I added Stage 1. The increase in power seemed minimal.

Today I found the problem. I was cleaning my K&N filter and putting it back in. I noticed that the upcharge pipe runs right next to the battery and seemed to be making contact with the shelf the battery sits on. I ran my hand down the right side of the upcharge tube and, through the mesh that covers the pipe, could feel a huge hole!

After cutting away the the plastic mesh, I discovered that half of the upcharge tube leading from the intercooler to the throtle body was eaten away at that spot. I surmize battery acid must have gradually seaped onto the pipe and caused it's deterioration. I obviously was not getting any boost to the intake.

All of you with the stock rubber upcharge tube/pipe might want to examing that area on yours. Especially if you've been down on power or throwing a P1188 code.

blues_harp
from St. Louis
Old 15 Jun 2008, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: upcharge pipe deterioration WARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_harp View Post
I surmise battery acid must have gradually seaped onto the pipe and caused it's deterioration.
Thanks for your post on your problem and fix. Those with turbos should check that spot for trouble.

Are you positive that the hole wasn't caused by the pipe just rubbing against the battery tray and not from battery acid? You would have thought that if it was battery acid, the battery itself would have gone dead after awhile if it was leaking.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for that info blues_harp. Welcome to the Forum, what took you so long to join??

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Jun 2008, 10:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB

good post, thanks.

It is most probably just rubbing though, when 2 parts contact that resonate at different frequencies this is bound to happen, look below for 'rubber dandruff', this is what happens to hoses all the time on poorly installed or maintained hoses earth moving machinery that I work on.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The deterioration may have been, in small part, initially caused by some rubbing against the battery support shelf and the positive battery cable because these were points of contact.

However, the main deterioration is a gapping hole that is over an inch across and about 2 to 2 1/2 inches high and the there is other less severe deteriorated the full circumfrence of the tube.

Batteries exude small amounts of acid. That's one of the reasons the terminals corrode. Condensation that gathers on the outside of the battery during cool nights picks up some of this acid. It combines with dirt and grime. You can usually find some on the side of most any car battery.

There is a plastic mesh that fits around the tube. I am guessing this made contact with the surfaces of the positive battery cable and the battery shelf. This mesh did not corrode. However, it appears it picked up the acid and through some sort of osmosis, the acid moved throught the mesh. I'm guessing this because I can think of no other reason why there are major signs of acidic corrosion around the full circumfence of the tube.

I'm getting the tube replaced this week. I'm going to have them give it to me and photograph it. I'll be glad to email photo's to anyone interested.

Peace,
blues_harp in St. Louis
Old 17 Jun 2008, 03:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are at all mechanically inclinded you can easily do this job yourself. I would also recommend that you replace it with a hard pipe that is available through several sources.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 20 Jun 2008, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Got the tube replaced today. It came out in two pieces! The corosion extended all the way around the pipe. I forgot to take my camera so I did not get a picture of it, but trust me it was totally trashed. Me and my car guy surmize the battery cable carried most of the acid down to the tube.

The results with the new tube from intercooler to throttle body? Let me put it this way: "Boost is great, Boost is good. Let us thank him for our turbo."

Now I know what Stage 1 is supposed to feel like. I cannot get full-on the gas in first without breaking loose the tires. Woo Hoo!

blues_harp
in St. Louis
Old 20 Jun 2008, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB

Brillinat news!

Glad you have your full potential back, the turbo PT is a good contender to beat a lot of Jap 4bangers between stop lights when it's working properly.
With you're S1 you should have even more edge.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 08:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Thumbs up Re: upcharge pipe deterioration WARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_harp View Post
The deterioration may have been, in small part, initially caused by some rubbing against the battery support shelf and the positive battery cable because these were points of contact.

However, the main deterioration is a gapping hole that is over an inch across and about 2 to 2 1/2 inches high and the there is other less severe deteriorated the full circumfrence of the tube.

Batteries exude small amounts of acid. That's one of the reasons the terminals corrode. Condensation that gathers on the outside of the battery during cool nights picks up some of this acid. It combines with dirt and grime. You can usually find some on the side of most any car battery.

There is a plastic mesh that fits around the tube. I am guessing this made contact with the surfaces of the positive battery cable and the battery shelf. This mesh did not corrode. However, it appears it picked up the acid and through some sort of osmosis, the acid moved throught the mesh. I'm guessing this because I can think of no other reason why there are major signs of acidic corrosion around the full circumfence of the tube.

I'm getting the tube replaced this week. I'm going to have them give it to me and photograph it. I'll be glad to email photo's to anyone interested.

Peace,
blues_harp in St. Louis
Thanks for the post! This is very insightful!

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg