Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
terribly low MPG OUCH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2008, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default terribly low MPG OUCH

I got an '04 Turbo drive avg daily 120 miles (mostly hywy) and only get an avg of 17-18 mpg! Idon't know about cars but service it as required Even went ahead and got a Tune-up at 60,000 but no change. With these gas prices today $4.50 (use only "super") I will go bankrupt! Any advice please?
Old 14 Jul 2008, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: terribly low MPG OUCH

Put a couple extra pounds of air in the tires for less rolling resistance, and keep to the speed limit. The PT has a bad shape for pushing thru the air so the faster you try to go the more gas it takes to keep it at that speed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 06:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome to the board !! why are you using only super ?? cant you use mid grade ?? not that its that much $$ difference
Old 15 Jul 2008, 07:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I use only Super because I was told that that is what the manufacturer recomends. Are there any fixes for this dillema, I do tend to push the pedal
Old 15 Jul 2008, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
I do tend to push the pedal

As I said, light foot equals better gas mileage. Just for the heck of it, Next time you fill up, try driving like a little old lady till you have to fill it up again. I know it's no fun, but I'd bet you'll see an amazing jump in fuel mileage.

So then it's your choice; drive "nicely" or have fun and pay for it with lower gas mileage.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Idrive on a freeway at 5 AM the roads are clear and everybody is PASSING me at 80!
There gotta be another solution.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My MPG is the same as yours when I'm traveling at higher speeds, somewhere below 20mpg, and I'm aware of it and can afford the higher price of the gas I have to put in the cruiser. If I wanted or needed to boost the MPG all I have to do is slow down. Just because other are passing you at high speed sure doesn't mean you have to do it too. Probably some of those people are in big SUV's that are getting well below what you are and don't care or need to care.

There's not a lot you can do to boost your MPG but the biggest thing is to slow down. If you can't do that, learn to live with what your getting. Simple as that.

There's people in Congress that are now thinking to lower the national speed limit back down to 55 for everybody. Apparently they know what's best for all of us weather we like it or not. Let's hope they all get voted out of office.

Old 16 Jul 2008, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you in a hurry to get to work? If so, leave earlier in the morning. Speed kills mileage as well as waiting for stoplights in city driving. Yes, with a GT you should use Premium gas as that is what the engine was designed for. There must have been a reason that you bought a GT, unfortunately no one expected the gas price to rise that fast or stay as high as it has.

Speaking as a "Mature" person, I can remember when I drove across a state line (.05 mile)to save .02 a gallon. It was a whopping .31 in the state I lived it at the time.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Jul 2008, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

.31 in the state I lived it at

what year was that ?? just curious
Old 16 Jul 2008, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been getting 23 mpg in mixed driving lately...up from about 20....this is done by driving like the church lady....slow accelerations from stops and trying to drive 55...I have a scan gauge II and have been seeing 28-30 mpg on the highways driving 55...#'s I've never seen before....I never drove 55 before either...this is more than a coincidence. I also throw it into neutral (i have a 5 speed) when i see a stop sign or red light and glide up to the stop. In neutral gliding the scan gauge reads 70 mpg....it ALL adds up after 12 gallons.....long stop lights (over a minute) i'll shut the engine off too.
driving slow = saving gas the people who blow by me I usually catch at lights.
hope this helps