Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
boost controller vs PCM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2008, 08:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default boost controller vs PCM

am i trying to compare apples to oranges or are these two option for the same category. all i want is a tunable PCM but from what i am being told is that the closest thing to that for my "big Blue Betty" is a boost controller. i like some of the features on the BC but the PCM changes a couple of things the BC doesn't, BUT these peramiters are not adjustable... or are they? (raise right hand pinky to corner of mouth) anyone? what is working for you guys?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 09:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: boost controller vs PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTank View Post
am i trying to compare apples to oranges or are these two option for the same category. all i want is a tunable PCM but from what i am being told is that the closest thing to that for my "big Blue Betty" is a boost controller. i like some of the features on the BC but the PCM changes a couple of things the BC doesn't, BUT these peramiters are not adjustable... or are they? (raise right hand pinky to corner of mouth) anyone? what is working for you guys?
You really need to really learn a lot. Go here PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. Lots of knowledgeable gearheads.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Aug 2008, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I added a boost controller to my 2003 gt and raised it to 10lbs of boost... The difference was amazing and the car is running just fine.. and i'm perfectly happy with it.
Old 03 May 2009, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_pt2003 View Post
I added a boost controller to my 2003 gt and raised it to 10lbs of boost... The difference was amazing and the car is running just fine.. and i'm perfectly happy with it.
You should have already been running 10-13 psi boost on a stock pcm.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyGT View Post
You should have already been running 10-13 psi boost on a stock pcm.
I second that. I have an 03 GT and I run 13-15.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaweelmada View Post
I second that. I have an 03 GT and I run 13-15.
13-15psi? It must have been in the summer time. I haven't owned mine that long yet and so far during the winter I have only seen a consistant 11psi. With only 30k miles on the clock it is still a baby. LOL. Hot days will cause the boost to rise in order to meet the computer's torque demand.
Old 04 May 2009, 12:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Stock GT is spike to 13 and drop to 10-11 at redline. In hotter weather you will run a little higher OR your boost gauge might be off if it isn't hot. Wouldn't be the first time. Spiking higher in the summer is because the air isn't as dense. Spiking lower in the winter is because colder air is more dense.

Old 04 May 2009, 02:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wouldn't it be vice versa...colder air being more dense causing higher boost? Make it easier for the turbo to make more pressure? I'm not sure.

I just put on my boost gauge about 2 days ago and thats what it has been reading... 13 on average...drops down at about 5700rpm because the little turbo runs out of breath.
Old 04 May 2009, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: boost controller vs PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaweelmada View Post
Wouldn't it be vice versa...colder air being more dense causing higher boost? Make it easier for the turbo to make more pressure? I'm not sure.

I just put on my boost gauge about 2 days ago and thats what it has been reading... 13 on average...drops down at about 5700rpm because the little turbo runs out of breath.
Think about what you are saying. The cold air allows the engine to achieve the hp and torque without so much boost. Thats why cold temps pull less boost. The computer is pulling boost because the requirements have already been met for the power at a lower level of boost. cold air makes it easier to get higher boost if the computer wasn't controlling it through a torque request. The stock GT turbo can handle up to 20psi before loosing its breath and still be reliable. 13 psi is a detuned version of what it's capable of.
Old 04 May 2009, 02:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyGT View Post
Think about what you are saying. The cold air allows the engine to achieve the hp and torque without so much boost. Thats why cold temps pull less boost. The computer is pulling boost because the requirements have already been met for the power at a lower level of boost. cold air makes it easier to get higher boost if the computer wasn't controlling it through a torque request. The stock GT turbo can handle up to 20psi before loosing its breath and still be reliable. 13 psi is a detuned version of what it's capable of.
Dat da truth