PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removing Exhaust Cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2008, 12:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to JaviPTGT
Cool Removing Exhaust Cat

hey i wanted to remove my cat and just run streight pipe is it safe to run like that or should i just leave it on let me know so i dont miss up my Gt thanks
Old 01 Aug 2008, 01:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Removing Exhaust Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaviPTGT View Post
hey i wanted to remove my cat and just run streight pipe is it safe to run like that or should i just leave it on let me know so i dont miss up my Gt thanks
If you don't have stage 1 you will get a CEL. If you do have stage 1 you can remove it. Keep in mind it's a heavy fine if you get caught without one. You won't pass emissions, either. With stage 1 you can always remove the cat and put it on if you have to go through DEQ. It only gives you a 2-5 hp boost if you take it off. I just went with a Magnaflow high flow cat.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Aug 2008, 06:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree with mean green
Old 01 Aug 2008, 03:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

i dont need to pass a test i live in indiana. and i can live with the check light on .Other then that is it ok to take off? thanks again
Old 01 Aug 2008, 03:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

I did it on my old ride, and it will be getting done to mine pretty soon. It works fine without the cat. The car will run the same, just there's a chance of the CEL coming on. The second 02 sensor is just there for monitoring cat efficiency, it doesn't change the air fuel ratio any.

I would recommend carefully cutting the cat out so as not to damage it. They are VERY expensive, and if testing does become mandatory, then you can just weld it in. I think I had looked it up and it was around $600, not cool if you have to replace!

Some guys like gutting their cats so it looks like it is there. That actually looses hp because of what it does to the exhaust. Exhaust travels slower through a larger area. Blow in a straw, then blow through a garden hose, the air goes faster through the straw. With a gutted cat, the exhaust gets slowed by the large cavity of the gutted cat, then kind of lingers, the engine then ends up pushing the exhaust out with the next exhaust stroke which costs you power. With a pipe welded in place the exhaust maintains velocity throughout the system and you remove restriction. Didn't think it sounded like you were wanting to gut your cat, but I find it very interesting how exhausts work and thot I'd share!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 04 Aug 2008, 08:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

hey thanks for all the info. Help a lot should i just cut it off and put a regular pipe in the same size? But what do i do with the 4 wires coming from the sensor, just cut them and hide them
or what ? Pics will help a lot thanks again