PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Impending turbo doom, or just a clogged oil return line causing whine and smoke?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2008, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Impending turbo doom, or just a clogged oil return line causing whine and smoke?

Model: 2004 GT Cruiser (see attached for detail)

Metrage: 81,000km (51,000miles)

Problem:

I have a new high pitched howl or whine coming from the turbo unit which varies in pitch, while rpm remains constant. Also blue smoke in the exhaust when I operate in 3rd gear at 3000 RPM for 20 seconds. It just started to happen all of a sudden. Before that, turbo was whisper quiet

I pulled the vacuum lines for wastegate and surge valve (similar to BOV), no change in sound other than WG doesn't kick in, so the sound happens all the time.

No damage to turbine visible, and no end play and no side-side play in turbine shaft. No boost pressure at any RPM.

No Engine codes. I pulled the plug on the WGA Solenoid, then I got P0243, but that code cleared after I put the plug back on and did a few key-on cycles.

Removed surge valve (see my other post today on that topic). Not stuck. Operated WGA lever by hand. Not stuck.

Turbine spins when engine revs but stops quite abruptly when engine drops to idle. Turbine turns smoothly by hand, no drag or roughness.

No unusual or harsh driving conditions. Do not usually do idle cooldown. Do not use syntehtic oil. Change oil every 3000 miles (5000km).

Q1: Is turbo dead and about to explode, or do I just have a blocked oil return line?

Q2: Recomendations for exhaust manifold/turbo replacement? I prefer to stay OEM, or something very conservative.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChargeAirTurbine.JPG (41.4 KB, 57 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vin.pdf (18.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 25 Aug 2008, 10:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Impending turbo doom, or just a clogged oil return line causing whine and smoke?

From the looks of your compressor inlet picture, it looks as if your blades are rubbing the inlet. You can see the scalloped areas in each blade where they run closely by the inlet walls. Your bearing is probably shot and the shaft has a lot of play in it. The exhaust pressure could be loading up the shaft causing it to wobble a bit and leak oil into the exhaust. When the engine is off, it still turns freely. Get someone to lay real eyes on it instead of taking my word for it though.

Brian
Old 31 Aug 2008, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Impending turbo doom, or just a clogged oil return line causing whine and smoke?

If you are getting blue smoke your seals are shot in the turbo, bearings are going bad and you are about to lunch it. It could just stop spinning or it could disintegrate and your engine could swallow chunks of turbine and bearings. I would replace sooner rather than later. You can rebuild the turbo if the housing isn't chewed up. You can get a rebuild kit with superior bearings. Have you been using dino or synth?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 02 Sep 2008, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Gentlemen,

You are both correct. Thank-you for your expert analysis. The unit has been replaced by Chrysler under warrranty. Now here is the kicker. It wasn't the dino oil (yes I will use synth now, I already got the lecture) it was the sludge which plugged the coolant line.

Here is a disturbing factoid: The long life coolant turns to sludge as water boils off via a leaky rad cap (which I may or may not have, plan to flush coolant this weekend).

More details here:

Better photo:

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

Replacement options:

The poop on the rad fluid:

Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you got it fixed !!
Old 05 Oct 2008, 04:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by icezebra View Post
More details here:

Better photo:

Replacement options:

The poop on the rad fluid:

The pics arent accessible without user/password, but would be interesting. Maybe you could post them here?

gschnu