Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Has anyone tried running E85 in the GT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2008, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Has anyone tried running E85 in the GT?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried running E85 in the GT and how it worked out. I know our cars aren't technically designed to run on it but how would it work out a few times. Several stations in my area have quit carrying premium but have added E85.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Has anyone tried running E85 in the GT?

Welcome to the Forum, Cvette54!!! In our area the only gas you can buy has the E85 already added!! Of course, I use regular in my NA, never noticed if Premium gas also is E85.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Your car has to be designed for it. You can't just run straight E85 or you'll destroy your fuel system. Besides, it's more expensive and you lose mpg.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 25 Aug 2008, 01:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was just wondering if it could be used like once or twice cause the octane for it is like over 100 and actually I dont know where y'all live cause here it is like $.70 cheaper than premium. I thought it could work good for like drag days. Guess not.
Old 08 Sep 2008, 10:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I wouldn't on a turbo for several reasons. Primary three:

1) The stoichiometric ratio for ethanol is different.

2) The energy content per gallon of ethanol is less than that of gas. You'll loose milage, and cause you to dig into the gas more to try to make up power.

3) Wreak havoc on the exhaust temperatures.

I have tried it on NA cars several times though with mixed results. If a car is designed for ethanol however, you can adjust almost any of the factors that make ethanol different ..... all except the milage loss. It's just inevitable that MPG will suffer. One of the many reasons diesel gets better milage .... because diesel gas has more BTU's per gallon than gasoline.
Old 09 Sep 2008, 10:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

so are you saying it will raise the exhaust temps??? would it raise them to a point of glowing red muffler??? are the cars designed for E85 do they have the thick stainless exhaust on them???
Old 09 Sep 2008, 10:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusierdad76 View Post
so are you saying it will raise the exhaust temps??? would it raise them to a point of glowing red muffler??? are the cars designed for E85 do they have the thick stainless exhaust on them???
LOL...That would be pretty insane!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!