Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What is considered to be normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question What is considered to be normal?

I recently purchased a used 2006 PT Cruiser Limited Edition 2.4 liter Turbo. I have noticed a loud sound coming from the engine when the car is idling. It sounds like a big fan. It is really loud. Now, I'm new to the whole turbo engine thing. I also notice that my car shudders and hesitates at acceleration sometimes. Most of these things are happening while the air conditioner is running. I use the 87 octane gas. My car has about 24,000 miles on it. My warranty on it is up to 36,000 or a year. I'm trying to make sure if there is anything seriously wrong with this car, that I can get it fixed BEFORE the warranty expires. I believe the dealership is not telling me what's wrong, because, they are trying to wait for the warranty to expire. Everything else about my car I absolutely love. My car is so nice looking and I love the way it handles the turns. But, I'm fearful that something is seriously wrong. Yet, I can't trust the people who sold the car to give me any service reports. Any suggestions?

Last edited by TheFox; 23 Aug 2008 at 07:02 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What is considered to be normal?

Normal for the fan to come on while idling when it is hot outside.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I understand that when it is hot outside and you're running your a/c that it will run a little rougher than usual. I also understand the fan cooling the engine. However, this noise is VERY loud like a big fan is blowing in there on the highest level. I don't have a problem with a little noise. But, this fan or motor is so loud people look at my car like something's wrong with it.

Last edited by TheFox; 23 Aug 2008 at 06:56 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 07:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Hard to judge the noise over the internet, but the fan on all three of my PTs and my Neon are really loud when going on.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mean Green is right about the high fan noise with the high speed part of the fan on. Why not pull into a parking lot when the noise happens and open the hood to try and pinpoint the excessive noise that your hearing?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i would say fan also, when it comes on you know it !!
Old 13 Sep 2008, 09:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yep! That fan is very loud, and I'm glad for it. That sucker does some serious spinning. It comes on more often when it is humid outside.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: What is considered to be normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmdsm27 View Post
Yep! That fan is very loud, and I'm glad for it. That sucker does some serious spinning. It comes on more often when it is humid outside.
Thanks for replying to my post. I understand that I would hear the noise when it's hot and humid outside. But, sometimes, I hear this noise when I don't have my air on. Also, I have my fan set at low inside my car. Would it still spin at a high velocity if my fan is set on low or my air is off? I just want to make sure that this noise is normal. I just don't seem to hear other people's PT Cruiser's making this noise. I've taken it to the service center before, and they've never told me anything was wrong with my car. Also, can you tell me what a autostick is? People have told me that determines whether I should be using premium gas. I didn't think that pertained to my Turbo, but I don't know what an autostick is? I do know that my car runs better and the gas stays longer when I use the middle octane. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

the noise is in the car or outside ??
Old 14 Sep 2008, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: What is considered to be normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs turbo pt View Post
the noise is in the car or outside ??
Yes. The noise is right at the front of my car under the hood. It sounds like a big fan is going. It's loud. The inside of my car is fine noise wise. This loud sounding fan noise seems to be very revved up and I don't even have the fan control on sometimes. And, if I'm running the air, I don't have the fan level set to high. It's on low. So, I don't really understand why this noise is so loud? I just wanted to know if anyone else has this same issue and if it's normal for a Turbo lite engine? I understand if it's really hot and all. But, I've never had a car sound like that just because it was hot outside. I know they run a little rough when the air is on. But, I just don't think that fan noise should be that loud. Or, could it be the engine, motor, or something else?