Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Mysterious" turbo engine noise...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2003, 04:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default "Mysterious" turbo engine noise...???

My GT Turbo goes to the dealership tomorrow and their "best staff" will try to determine the source of a "mysterious" engine noise that has been present intermittently ever since I took delivery of the car on 2/21/03--some 6350 miles ago.

There continues to be a periodic “ticking” and/or “rattle/clanging sound” coming from under the front hood somewhere in the engine area. At first, I though something was “loose” or “not adjusted properly” but now, after six months of driving, I don't know what is going on. Think it is coming from the engine because if something was loose I suspect the noise would be constant--it is not. However, maybe it could be the fan--like one of the blades is slightly bent and hitting against something or the fan unit is out of balance. However, the noise does not appear to be coming from the fan area. The noise “comes and goes”--you cannot hear the sound all the time. You ONLY hear it when the engine is idling. It almost sounds like a "sticky lifter". If you start the engine several times during the day and let it idle anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes the sound can usually be heard. Generally, the sound is most likely to be heard after starting the engine cold or after it has been turned off for a couple hours. It may continue for only a minute or two or last for ten minutes or more--sometimes going away only to come back later. It is a mystery to me and others so far who have heard it. At both my 3000 and 6000 mile service this problem was on my list of things to find/fix but, of course, it could not be heard or duplicated by dealership staff--until, I was about to leave following my last visit--I started the engine and there it was for all to hear.

I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst--that someone will "tear into the engine" to fix the problem and when I get it back things will be worse. The car runs and performs flawlessly now except for the noise.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens this week. [:0] [:I]
Old 17 Aug 2003, 08:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary:
This doesn't sound good to me. I retired after 23 years as a mechanic. I worked on everything from small engines to V-12 CAT engines. The intermitant problems are THE WORST to find and solve. Many times, it's a process of elimination. Hopefully the dealing will follow a trouble shooting "logic chain" that starts with the simple items first. Also, they will probably use a mechanics stethascope to narrow down the location.

Now for my guess even though I don't know a thing about Chrysler engines . . . It's something in the valve train. I had a similar problem with a Mitsubishi engine a few years ago. I repaired it for $20 after I located the problem as a faulty hydraulic lifter.

Good luck. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what they find.

Steve

2003 Electric Blue GT. Mods - BTG lowering springs, Polished Blane hood struts and hatch strut covers, chrome door handle scratch guards, molded rear splash guards, BTG polished strut tower brace, BTG axle back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter with baffles removed, Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and K&N filter, Polished front and rear sill plates, Chrome \"PT CRUISER\" rear license plate frame, chrome door spear covers, Chrome antenna bezel, Get the BEST detail products from Gary here: http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
See my PT and mods here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289059783

MY EMAIL ADDRESS: stephenlarson@adelphia.net
Old 17 Aug 2003, 09:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

I had something similar and it turned out to be the airconditioner pulley being "out of alignment," which according to the tech is a common occurrence on the GT Turbo. It took them four days to fix this. They also flashed my PCM.

cheers

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 18 Aug 2003, 12:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Sometimes new lifters, even in OHC engines, don't quite function properly from the factory.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Flashback had a similar noise in his 2001 .I told him to run Z-MAX oil additive and within 500 miles it was gone .I truly believe there is no cure in a can but if u have a piece of crud or carbon this will dissolve it his was a lifter problem ,I would try this before I let the monkeys at the dealership swing on your car. Who knows yours might be the 1st one for them to tear apart GOOD LUCK
Old 20 Aug 2003, 10:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I spoke with the Assistant Service Manager at my dealership late today and it appears the "mysterious" noise was identified and corrective action is being taken. Apparently, the noise was coming from the lifters/tappets--one of the "followers" was bad--that appears to have been what was causing the noise. The parts have been ordered--the lifters and followers are all being replaced to be sure the problem is corrected for good. At least they didn't have to go into the motor but only removed the value cover to do the necessary work.

I should get my car back by the end of the week and then I can confirm the noise is gone for good after driving a few hundred or more miles. Guess I'll have to just wait and see if all is well... [8D]...keeping my fingers crossed that the "Five Star Dealership" guys did [u]quality work</u> and my [u]engine is now sounding normal</u>...

...[u]all the time</u>!

Old 21 Aug 2003, 10:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I received a call this afternoon from the Assistant Service Manager. He thought all had been taken care of until they started up the engine today--and, you guessed it--the "mysterious" noise was still present. Needless to say, I won't be getting my GT back tomorrow as anticipated. They will keep it into next week in order to try once again to fix the problem. Spoke with the GM late today and there are now only two options left--[u]fix the problem</u> or [u]get me a new car</u>. Although I still have some hope, I think the chances now are no more than 50% that the noise will be eliminated. No choice but to wait and see what happens. [:0]
Old 21 Aug 2003, 11:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, If they end up replacing your cruiser will you get the chance to retrieve any of your mods first ?? [:I]
Alan
Old 21 Aug 2003, 11:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It may be "a little early" for that since the dealership is still in the "let's get this problem fixed mode". However, the GM told me that what may well happen should DC decide to replace the car (if the problem can't be corrected) is that whatever mods can be removed will be taken off, and, I will receive credit for the remainder of my modification costs--like the $1150 spent on a performance exhaust system and hand-painted pin-striping/outline-flames which will remain with the car--on a new replacement vehicle.

The "saga" continues--stay tuned...
Old 21 Aug 2003, 11:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Boy, sounds like big time bumer. Hope not though. Lets keep the fingers crossed.