Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Map Sensor Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2009, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Map Sensor Question

Hi, guys! Here's the skinny: 2003 Turbo Dream cruiser. Cold air intake, MSD ignition, spacer on EGR valve, hi-flo muffler. Recently started stumbling under acceleration, backfires, pops. Worse when cold. Intermittent rough idle. Replaced Throttle position sensor. I think it is the MAP sensor. Before I replace it, am considering hi-performance unit such as 2 bar crane (bosch-type). Anyone here have experience with this upgrade?
Old 08 Mar 2009, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Map Sensor Question

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with your question but I do think your throwing parts at a problem without really knowing what's wrong. You put on a new TPS and that didn't work so now your going for a new MAP sensor?

Anyhow, here's my question: What in the world did a spacer on the EGR valve do for you?
Old 08 Mar 2009, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Map Sensor Question

I don't know the purpose of the spacer - it was on there when I purchased the vehicle last year - it's obviously an aftermarket part - a nice blue anodized piece...

as the plugs are not fouled and the misfire is intermittent, this would indicate to me that it is not a spark plug problem, as if it were, it should misfire all the time...

It's been my experience that the type of stumble (intermittent, worse at cold operating temps than hot) I'm encountering in a fuel injected vehicle is related to a faulty TPS unit sending improper info to the computer, or the MAP sensor with improper voltages fed to same with resultant improper fuel/timing etc coming out of the computer (garbage in=garbage out)

With all the hi-po mods this already has, I am simply wondering if anyone has any ideas and if anyone has hands on experience/nsight with the 2 or 3 bar map sensors for this particular application.
Old 08 Mar 2009, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunda1216 View Post
I don't know the purpose of the spacer - it was on there when I purchased the vehicle last year - it's obviously an aftermarket part - a nice blue anodized piece...
OH, I get it, you mean a Throttle Body Spacer not and EGR spacer. They come in Blue and Red and don't do a darn thing.

Another question: What about your plug wires? Are the the original wires? Could they be breaking down? The OEM wires from the factory are crap and we advise owners to change them out at the first sign of rough idle, stumbling and hesitation.
Old 08 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: Map Sensor Question

well, it would be a throttle body spacer if it was attached to a throttle body, but it isn't. it is between the egr valve and where it attaches, down near the turbocharger.

the plug wires are not stock, they are an oversized aftermarket set similar to the 8.8 mm accel set I have on my harley

ty
Old 08 Mar 2009, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Map Sensor Question

no gearheads present? form over function? whazzup? style over substance?
Old 09 Mar 2009, 06:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
form over function? whazzup? style over substance?
No.
Us professional mechanics would rather gather information from the PCM datastream to determine if a part is not working properly.
We don't throw parts at a car in hopes of a change in driveability.
Every sensor and switch gives a data PID to my scanners. The MAP & TPS are very easy to watch & record for diagnostic research.

No sensor gets changed without recording the datastream before and after. Those printed performance reports verify that the fault is repaired.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 01:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
well, it would be a throttle body spacer if it was attached to a throttle body, but it isn't. it is between the egr valve and where it attaches, down near the turbocharger.

the plug wires are not stock, they are an oversized aftermarket set similar to the 8.8 mm accel set I have on my harley

ty
i think your refering to the Mopar noise maker.

and what are your plugs gaped at. you may have too big of a gap by the sound of it.

is it throwing a CEL?

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge