Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wastegate & boost controler? wasteband?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2009, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question wastegate & boost controler? wasteband?

just a quick question, can u have a boost cotroler and a wastegate installed at the same time. or just one or the other? thnx

also some one once mentioned to me about a "wasteband" which i had never heard of. so if you know what it is could u explain to me what it is and what it does?
-jimmy
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: wastegate & boost controler? wasteband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjimmy2009 View Post
just a quick question, can u have a boost cotroler and a wastegate installed at the same time. or just one or the other? thnx

also some one once mentioned to me about a "wasteband" which i had never heard of. so if you know what it is could u explain to me what it is and what it does?
-jimmy
Not a wasteband, it's a wideband... if you're going to add in a boost controller and after-market WGA, you had better have a good wideband meter and boost gauge or you are likely to cannonball your engine. Get the meters first, then add the WGA and BC. You need to benchmark your engine way before you install either. I'm assuming you're talking about upgrading your WGA from factory to what, stage 2? Fastest way to end that engine's life is to add in an after market performance WGA and dump excess boost into the components.

Also, you don't mention your engine type, are you running a lite or a GT? What year is it? Have you upped your injectors yet?

Oh, and to answer your question, sure you can install both at once, just not really what I'd suggest doing until you get used to your new WGA. My preference would be install an AEM wideband and boost gauge, then install the WGA, run it for a couple of weeks, do some data logging to insure you've got the WGA tuned, then install the boost controller. Or vice versa. Once you get your WGA tuned in, you can do all sorts of things with the boost controller.

As to a wideband, this one here is totally bitchin! If I had the money I'd be getting one now!!!
AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge 30-4100 for $207.21 Shipped, Universal Wideband Gauge

Here's what it looks like:

ON that link to AEM's page, there is a video showing the simple install, and a video showing how to change the face of the gauge. They've got some great ones. Soon as I can afford one I'm getting me one. There are lots of others out there, but this one is the cat's meow. If you install a boost controller and WGA, and don't have a way of measuring your A/F and boost, you will likely blow it up. Just take pictures, before and after...

Here's a link to a whole slew of wideband gauges... Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges - Wide Band from egauges.com

Here is an excellent video that talks about why you need to insure you run accurate A/F ratios, and what a wideband can do for you. I suggest you watch it first, then think about how much you really want to spend... just a suggestion from your olde Uncle Chromenut

Last edited by Chromenut; 17 Sep 2009 at 07:41 pm.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 12:29 am
Regular Cruiser

This is exactly where I am at in the mod process. Just ordered the Aeroforce Interceptor which reads multiple parameters including afr when you add their wideband kit. This way I can watch boost and afr at the same time on one gauge! Kind of pricey though, gauge is $240, wideband kit another $195ish. But not a whole lot different than buying separate boost and afr gauges I guess. Plus you can do a bunch of other stuff, like read engine codes, 0-60 times etc.

2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 18 Sep 2009, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ouch, that is expensive. How did the hookup go? I know with the AEM, other than getting the bung hole drilled and the bung welded on, it's a very easy install. Right now I use my DSP for everything, cause I really only need it at the track, so I run my pulls logging through the DSP right to my laptop. Gives some pretty interesting information.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 11:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Still waiting for my gauge to come in. But hookup is very easy, it just plugs into the OBD port under the steering column! The wideband kit however will require the bung etc like the AEM.
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 18 Sep 2009, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thnx for all the info! The thing of it is that there is no way i'll be able to afford that at this time because i did just spend the $ i was saving on an aft market wga. the wga is a AGP Billet Wastegate Actuator by the way. will i be safe running it for a little while without the wideband & air 2 fuel ratio gauge. or could i find a setup for allot cheeper?
Old 18 Sep 2009, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh there are a lot cheaper, you're seeing here some of the best, so definitely not cheap. I suggest you go over to PTCrew.com and ask the same question, that you want to install the upgraded WGA but don't have the gauges yet, there are a lot more technical experts over there. That is where I go when I have a question like this. Not dogging these forums, they are great, just PTCrew happens to be the top when it comes to technical stuff.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 09:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

First: robin said drill the bung hole... Lol

second: the year determines the injectors, if your an 03 do not put the agp on! Also the auto tranny will be trash w/ the agp wga, hope you have a mtx.

Guages r pricy but will save you tons in the long run

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 07 Oct 2009, 02:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

i know this is an old post but the OP should have bought the gauges first then the wga. The AGP wga stiffer spring will Part Throttle Boost like crazy. He'll never know what boost he's running at or if he's running lean during PTB. Just my .02
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 07 Oct 2009, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
i know this is an old post but the OP should have bought the gauges first then the wga. The AGP wga stiffer spring will Part Throttle Boost like crazy. He'll never know what boost he's running at or if he's running lean during PTB. Just my .02
So many modders get in a rush and throw stuff on their engines without thinking it through. I'm just waiting to hear how the parts started coming through the walls of that engine. You starve that engine by not controlling A/R, and kaboom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTank
First: robin said drill the bung hole... Lol

LMAO