PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2009, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to LcgIV
Default Getting Started

Hey, I got a 06 GT PT over the summer, and was wondering what performance upgrades are recommended and what I can expect to pay and gain from them, also which are the easiest(easy, but beneficial)? (I have very little experience working on cars)
Thanks!
Old 19 Sep 2009, 12:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Getting Started

Probably the Air box mod which will cost you a K&N drop in filter. Not sure on cost, $25 maybe? Search it out and you will find instructions.

New plugs and wires are a good idea as the factory wires are crap.

Next Stage 1 which gives you 5hp and 15ftlbs of torque on the '06. $600, but is the building block for many more mods. Basically all that is invloved here is swapping out the pcm.

Beyond that you will want a boost gauge, maybe wideband. Bigger exhaust, boost controllers, stiffer waste gate actuators, the posibilities are endless!!!

Btw are you auto trans or 5spd?

Go and check out PTCrew.com.
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 19 Sep 2009, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCruiser View Post
Probably the Air box mod which will cost you a K&N drop in filter. Not sure on cost, $25 maybe? Search it out and you will find instructions.

New plugs and wires are a good idea as the factory wires are crap.

Next Stage 1 which gives you 5hp and 15ftlbs of torque on the '06. $600, but is the building block for many more mods. Basically all that is invloved here is swapping out the pcm.

Beyond that you will want a boost gauge, maybe wideband. Bigger exhaust, boost controllers, stiffer waste gate actuators, the posibilities are endless!!!

Btw are you auto trans or 5spd?

Go and check out PTCrew.com.
Agree. And gap the plugs no wider than 0.040, and do NOT use platinum - either copper or irridium only in a turbo.
Easiest gain is to put 2-3 PSI more in your tires - seriously.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Sep 2009, 12:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

AMX (needswings) hard pipes would be nice as well. BOV upgrade? Perhaps. I am just learning myself.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Agree. And gap the plugs no wider than 0.040, and do NOT use platinum - either copper or irridium only in a turbo.
Easiest gain is to put 2-3 PSI more in your tires - seriously.
DITTODITTODITTO What Don said!!! Get rid of those factory plug wires, go for the best, get a set of Granatelli's, and yes, they cost more, $54 for a set, and damn well worth it. Think I'm going down today to do the Gran's and take out my Crane Fire Wires...anyone need a set of used Fire Wires??? $5 + shipping...lol

LCG, please post photos of your PT!!!

Oh, and...

Last edited by Chromenut; 19 Sep 2009 at 01:53 pm.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the responses. I have the 5spd manual trans, with everything stock.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll get some pics up soon!
Old 22 Sep 2009, 04:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
DITTODITTODITTO What Don said!!! Get rid of those factory plug wires, go for the best, get a set of Granatelli's, and yes, they cost more, $54 for a set, and damn well worth it. Think I'm going down today to do the Gran's and take out my Crane Fire Wires...anyone need a set of used Fire Wires??? $5 + shipping...lol

LCG, please post photos of your PT!!!

Oh, and...
Well i must say very nice pictures have been posted here .really a great job.i will laso come up with nice pictures like this
in the next post
Old 29 Sep 2009, 11:56 am
Cool Cruiser

one thing to do also is install a boost gauge then boost leak test.

buy a bag of zip ties and ziptie all you vacume lines

go to home depo or lowes and buy a 2" plumming cap, get a valve stem from autozone and put it in the center of the cap, remove the intake and place on the turbo inlet and fill the system with air. take a bottle of soap and water and spray on various vac lines and look for air bubbles.

a few places that will leak air is the factory PCV valve, go to the junk yard and pull a brake booster off a honda or nissan, or go to bwoodypreformance.com and buy one from the SRT-4, insert it on the vacume line between the intake manifold and PCV valve.

another common place you will see a leak is a vacume line on the turbo to airbox (TTAB) pipe, remove that line and cap both ends.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge