Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cold Air Intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2003, 04:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Cold Air Intake

I ran a 2" hose from the opening to the left of the driver's side fog light up to the hole in the fenderwell for my intake. I took the silencer from inside the air box from my wifes '01 PT, cut it in half and cut part of the lip off so it would lay flat on the bottom. I then painted it Onyx Green so it would match my GT and slipped it over the hose. I think it added a nice finishing touch. I have the AMX1397 (Jim Barnes) intake. For those who have it you know that part of it is made from a metal pipe. Before I ran the 2" hose this pipe would be hot. Now, with the 2" hose, the pipe is ice cold to the touch. The air going through it is truly cold now. It may be seat of the pants, but I feel a quicker response and my GT is even more of a blast to drive.

Old 09 Oct 2003, 11:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Interesting mod--well done. I think Jim did a similar thing with clothes dryer tubing. Exactly where did you mount the silencer to stabilize the hose--is it on top of the fender lining?

Thanks.
Light almond GT w/5 spd, aluminum gas cover, 400-watt amp w/Kenwood 3-ways in rear, EJECT power button, custom dual exhaust, hidden trailer hitch, mini-flames by Streamline, mini-flames around windshield washer, \"amx\" turbo-up custom intake, Stage 1, BTG strut tower brace, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Custom 17x7 wheels.
Old 09 Oct 2003, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

this mod was done by me, jim amx1397 in my o1 pt and the redone in my turbo and the 2" hose as i have put in the forum before, is 2" heater duct from pep boys
instructions::::
jack up drivers side front, remove front wheel.
remove screws or fasrters from the fender outside DO NOT REMOVE INTER FENDER just loosten it.
pull inter fender away enough to see where the heater duct goes thete is a path that it fits. cut the plastic near the fog lite where the hose can get the cold air. push and pull the inter fender back in place.. don't gorget to leave a 1" gap on top so water doed not get to the intake also take a screwdriver and at the lowest bend in the hose punch 2 or 3 holes so water can drain. I have been running this for three(3) years with no water getting to my intake JUST COLDER AIR

for the car not the money.
Old 09 Oct 2003, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

I also did this the first week I had the car. It seems to help. Worth the time
Old 09 Oct 2003, 03:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

I ran a 2" hose from the opening to the left of the driver's side fog light up to the hole in the fenderwell for my intake. I took the silencer from inside the air box from my wifes '01 PT, cut it in half and cut part of the lip off so it would lay flat on the bottom.
umm your filters metal ring is very close to that battery cable, i dunno if this is a good idea.

punch
Old 09 Oct 2003, 03:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Punch

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

I ran a 2" hose from the opening to the left of the driver's side fog light up to the hole in the fenderwell for my intake. I took the silencer from inside the air box from my wifes '01 PT, cut it in half and cut part of the lip off so it would lay flat on the bottom.
umm your filters metal ring is very close to that battery cable, i dunno if this is a good idea.

punch
That is the negative clamp. You can relax becuase it won't hurt a thing even if it does touch.
Old 09 Oct 2003, 11:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

see bracket!! no move!! rubber el at turbo move!! no touch batt!!
amx1397 intake good!!!
Old 10 Oct 2003, 03:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rockycruiser

Interesting mod--well done. I think Jim did a similar thing with clothes dryer tubing. Exactly where did you mount the silencer to stabilize the hose--is it on top of the fender lining?

Thanks.
That's the modified silencer you see next to the fog light. The hose is attached to the back of it. The modified silencer is painted Onyx green so it blends in......I got the idea from Jim. He told me about it when I got my intake from him. I finally got around to doing it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Oct 2003, 03:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by amx1397

see bracket!! no move!! rubber el at turbo move!! no touch batt!!
amx1397 intake good!!!
Right On! [?] I really like your intake.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic