Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT Turbo won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2010, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 PT Turbo won't start

my 2004 pt cruiser turbo had a Flashing MIL (OEM), then shut down driving down the road. will not start back up. will not jump start. will not turn over at all not even a click of the starter. if you turn it turn the car on to the run position it will turn all the gadgets on but will not start the car. any ideas on what could have happened to cause it not to start at all?

I tried the turn off and on 3 times thing to get a code and it will not give me a code at all, just the mileage shows up. Changed the Camshaft Sensor, that didn't do anything. Had to disconnect the battery to change the camshaft sensor, would this cause any codes to be wipped out of the system or is there still a way to get the codes?

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 01 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT Turbo won't start

How many miles?
When you so the "key trick" for codes, did you get "done"? You should always at least get "done" displayed.
I would suspect the ignition switch.
BTW - you should not drive when check engine light is flashing.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 01 Feb 2010 at 06:49 pm.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 12:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your reply....the code trick thing gave me nothing except the mileage... I even tried an OBDII Code Reader and got nothing.

I only had the flashing light for about two minutes while trying to get it off the road (people behind me gittin aggravated) then when I turned into the closest parking lot it died. Tried to turn it over and nothing. The engine light gave me no warning whatsoever, I had just driven 19 miles to the store and everything was fine (no engine light, gages were all good), went into the store, came out, started driving and then boom the light came on and it was flashing, that is when I attempted to get off the road as fast as possible.

I got frustrated and gave up on it earlier this evening, just had it towed to the shop. I'll see what tomorrow's diagnosis brings.....
Old 02 Feb 2010, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thinking some more on it - ignition switch would not give a check engine light.
Puzzling.
If alternator died, it'd give symptoms you describe, EXCEPT - battery would be totally dead and you say "gadgets" work.
If timing belt went, starter would turn engine over.
I guess if engine seized it'd cause your symptoms.
Did you see temp gauge or was oil light on when it died?

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 02 Feb 2010 at 06:44 am.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no other lights other than the engine light and it was very brief before the engine quit on me. I had no warning at all. I drive the car everyday and never once had a light come on, it was always running perfect. Even the morning I left for the store it was running perfect, no signs at all. After coming out of the store and driving merely two blocks the MIL light came on and was flashing. I made it about two more blocks and it died when entering the parking lot. There were no other lights at all. I checked all fluids, battery, wires, fuses. The headlights work, the radio, etc., just nothing at all when turning the key except the battery these things.

I changed the camshaft sensor and was going to change the crankshaft sensor, but got frustrated and finally decided to let the shop take a look. I haven't heard from them yet, so they must be stumped too.

I have never had any car do this before. Usually there is some kind of a warning.

I appreciate you responding, it is always nice to talk to someone who owns a PT Cruiser.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Very strange... Interested to learn what it is...
Old 05 Feb 2010, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I have the diagnosis! Lucky for me it was covered by the Emissions Warranty.......

After the Chrysler dealership ran their diagnosis it was the PCM that went bad and they are replacing it. Other than that the car just needed a tune-up which I had them throw-in while they had it in service.

So, if anyone has ths kind of problem you definitely will save time and money by going straight to the dealer and have them run their diagnosis. It may very well be your PCM and could be covered under warranty. For me this was covered up to 80,000 miles under the emissions warranty from Chrysler. Luckily I was at 72,000.

Have a great weekend!
Old 05 Feb 2010, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Home run! That would've been expensive!
Old 07 Jul 2011, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the exact thing happen to me this week. Same mileage, same symptoms. It took a little time in the shop to diagnose the problem, but Chrysler won't replace it because it has a salvage title. Any hints on where to find a good used PCM?
Old 07 Jul 2011, 09:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Seen some on ebay for as much as $50-70 bucks.

Make sure that whatever vendor you buy it from can flash the PCM to your VIN.

Just make sure the PCM is made specifically for your model (turbo/non turbo), year and has the same transmission type.

As far as physically replacing it, it's easy as hell if you can undo 4 clips and use a small socket wrench.