41TE Upgrade

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2010, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 41TE Upgrade

Ok I was wondering what would be the best tranny upgrade:

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

minus the torque converter and LSD ( for now)

Or

IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles

( The first one)

Reason being the stage 1 turbo, I dont want to have to worry about not boosting in 4th plus I want better performance and a longer stronger lasting tranny via upgrading my own or the new tranny, thanx for the input. Oh does anyone have one of the two, input would be greatly appritiated. Thanks

( And yes Iam from ptcrew.com and know that they are the gurus, Iv asked them too)
mole likes this.
03 GT: Mopar S1,DSP 93 Oct Tune,Composite Manifold,AMX UHP & LHP,Needswings DP with 3" Cutout,AEM Intake Into Modded Stock Air Box,Mopar BOV,Triple Pillar Pod Setup ( Boost Controller,Wideband,Oil Press),Rota Boost 17" Gunmetal Metallic,Nexen N 3000 Tires,Eibach Lowering Spring Kit W/ Tockico Shocks And Struts,HID's,Blacked Out Tail Lights.

( Awaiting Installation: AGP DogBone MM,GodSpeed FMIC )
Old 05 Feb 2010, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 41TE Upgrade

I'd go with PTCrew. They "walk the walk". Any BS gets shouted down.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Feb 2010, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know. I just asked about it
03 GT: Mopar S1,DSP 93 Oct Tune,Composite Manifold,AMX UHP & LHP,Needswings DP with 3" Cutout,AEM Intake Into Modded Stock Air Box,Mopar BOV,Triple Pillar Pod Setup ( Boost Controller,Wideband,Oil Press),Rota Boost 17" Gunmetal Metallic,Nexen N 3000 Tires,Eibach Lowering Spring Kit W/ Tockico Shocks And Struts,HID's,Blacked Out Tail Lights.

( Awaiting Installation: AGP DogBone MM,GodSpeed FMIC )
Old 29 Aug 2013, 04:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSleeper View Post
Ok I was wondering what would be the best tranny upgrade:

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

minus the torque converter and LSD ( for now)

Or

IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles

( The first one)

Reason being the stage 1 turbo, I dont want to have to worry about not boosting in 4th plus I want better performance and a longer stronger lasting tranny via upgrading my own or the new tranny, thanx for the input. Oh does anyone have one of the two, input would be greatly appritiated. Thanks

( And yes Iam from ptcrew.com and know that they are the gurus, Iv asked them too)

i know its old but.....
Sleep, did you use one of these upgrade kits that you posted?

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 29 Aug 2013, 08:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

http://www.tcsproducts.com/

TCS kits is by far the best kit to get and you should NOT exclude a torque converter with it. The price is a little more now about $150 higher then back in 2010.

These kits if installed as per the directions and following the cautions will make for a very reliable performance upgrade for the 41te transmission.

During the many years selling these kits the company never had a failure of the O.D. hub or torque converter.

If you get one I recommend to get a torque converter with a slight stall of about 200-300rpm above stock and run the largest possible transmission fluid cooler you can find a place to mount it in your PT. Along with a fluid temperature gauge.
mole likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Aug 2013 at 08:22 am.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 09:33 am
Senior Cruiser

I think it's a mistake not to include the LSD in the upgraded rebuild. The LSD will spread the stresses from hot dogging around not only downstream of the diff but also upstream, which pays off in reliability. Besides, without the LSD, you only have half a car anyway.
mole likes this.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The Phantom Grip does not come in the kit and must be purchased separately.

Any semi locking, limited slip or locking differential (many other names) is good for prolonging the life of any differential and transmissions if it be a FWD or RWD vehicle. A limited slip differential when active distributes the rotational applied torque progressively and then evenly over both axles reliving the stress of all the power going to a single one axle on straight line acceleration. The transmission cases on a "peg leg" (single rotational axle differential ) can distort if the tire on that axle gets and holds traction for any length of time on straight line acceleration. This condition which can distort a differential and/or transmission case of FWD transmission to the point of damaging parts or destroying the transmission.

The issues are if a spool or welded spider gears in the differential which lock both wheel in one direction of rotation even in turns. These can play havoc on a street car.
mole likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Aug 2013, 11:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: 41TE Upgrade

All the LSD did for me was make me freak out,and see cartoon characters jumping out from behind bushes by the side of the road!
Old 29 Aug 2013, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
All the LSD did for me was make me freak out,and see cartoon characters jumping out from behind bushes by the side of the road!

randyincctx likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Aug 2013, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
TCS Products

TCS kits is by far the best kit to get and you should NOT exclude a torque converter with it. The price is a little more now about $150 higher then back in 2010.

These kits if installed as per the directions and following the cautions will make for a very reliable performance upgrade for the 41te transmission.

During the many years selling these kits the company never had a failure of the O.D. hub or torque converter.

If you get one I recommend to get a torque converter with a slight stall of about 200-300rpm above stock and run the largest possible transmission fluid cooler you can find a place to mount it in your PT. Along with a fluid temperature gauge.

i had a talk with Kevin(Red Sled) and AJ about building up a trans for my car.

he has to see what Billet parts they had leftover from back in the day.

but i would add the LSD and TC

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........