Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser sputters going up hill at 55 -65 MPH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2010, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser sputters going up hill at 55 -65 MPH

My wife's 2003 PT Cruiser starts to sputter while going up hill. The speed at which it starts to sputter depends on the incline of the hill, but it normally sputters between 55-65 MPH. If I let up on the gas or accelerate through it, it smoothes out. On occassion it will sputter while stopped at a stop sign. Never enough to make you think the engine is about to cut off though.

We had a full blown tune up and maintenance done on it in June.
I put injector cleaner in it last week, but it hasn't helped.

Her Cruiser seems to have annual problems of one kind or another over the last four years, and I am really tired of taking it in for maintenance. Hopefully someone here has a quick fix for me. I don't think this has anything to do with the problem, but if not, maybe you have an answer for this problem as well. After taking the Crusier in for a tuneup in June, they did something that disconnected the cruise control. As soon as I set the cruise control, the light comes on for about a second and then goes off. Due to moving across country the very next day, I couldn't take it back for them to fix it.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 13 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser sputters going up hill at 55 -65 MPH

Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you need a new service place.
Plugs/wires are the usual culprit for your symptoms - if they were done, then next is the intake gasket leaking - while engine is idling, spray starter fluid or WD 40 along intake seams - if idle smooths out, it's the intake gasket..
If not that, then usually an injector.
First would be a good mechanic.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Apr 2010, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looks like you were right. I don't know exactly which one was the culprit but they replaced the plugs, the wires and the gasket. $96.97 for parts and $562.20 for labor. That's what I get for being too intimidated by the Turbo to try to do it myself. I really hate this car. Seems like the only thing I can do on it myself is replace the battery, and that was more difficult than any battery I've ever had to change. Thanks for your help.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 09:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Looks like you were right. I don't know exactly which one was the culprit but they replaced the plugs, the wires and the gasket. $96.97 for parts and $562.20 for labor. That's what I get for being too intimidated by the Turbo to try to do it myself. I really hate this car. Seems like the only thing I can do on it myself is replace the battery, and that was more difficult than any battery I've ever had to change. Thanks for your help.
562 for labor, the Chrysler Stealers are our of their mind. Ask neighbors and friends if they have a trusted local mechanic.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Apr 2010, 09:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I bet they used stock wires also, they are only good for a few thousand miles or minutes. I changed mine when the car had only 500 miles or so because of a hesitation at idle.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Tags
55 mph, cruise control, pt cruiser, sputters