PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Frequent, and repeated Check Engine issues

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Frequent, and repeated Check Engine issues

Looking to see if others are seeing this issue. I bought a 2003 GT Turbo brand new and quickly began having recurring issues with bad sensors. I've replaced Barometric Pressure sensors at least three times, they replaced the central computing unit and the catalytic converter. I've rarely gone a year with this car without the Check Engine light coming on. The latest time was different because the code was for the power steering sensor, and a few months later it started leaking. They replaced the power steering rack, the pressure sensor and the power steering lines which were also leaking. A lot of work for a car with less than 80k miles!

The styling on the car is beautiful, and it's a comfortable ride, but it seems unreliable and gets lousy mileage for the size (my 6-cyl Explorer does better), it weighs far too much for the size, has a 2-foot wider turning radius than the Crown Victoria we replaced, too many blind spots, a noisy interior, a dark instrument panel that's hard to read in daylight and drags the front bumper on standard parking lot stops. I guess that's why they stopped making them?

Each mechanic I've talked to about them advises their customers not to buy one. Darn shame!
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Frequent, and repeated Check Engine issues

Yea, they won't be building them anymore.....after 10 years and 1.5 million sales. The only reason why they are stopping the build is because Chrysler didn't have the foresight to do a decent upgrade as the years went by. To most people the cruiser looks the exact same as it did back in the year 2000. You might of had some bad luck with yours but there's hundreds of thousands of us that had very little trouble and I personally have only seen the engine light one time in 100,000 miles.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, if you google "pt cruiser problems" you will find that I am very far from alone. Mechanical faults aside... for the size of car, the weight, fuel mileage and handling leave a LOT to be desired. As I stated earlier, the full-size Crown Victoria we traded had a much better turning radius and never gave us problems getting into parking spots or even making U-turns on 2 lane roads without having to stop and back up. They must've built this thing out of lead because the curb weight is only about 500 lbs less than my Ford Explorer, which is almost twice it's size (and gets better mileage)!

I also heard that the original designer went to GM and designed that other throw-back... I can't remember what they call it... CRV or something.

I'm only keeping it because the resale value is next to nothing.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 04:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

You mean the Chevy HHR.
Google "xxx problems" and guess what, thats what you'll find.
So why did you buy the car in the first place? The fuel mileage was on the sticker and you must have experienced the turning radius, handling and weight on the test drive right?
I'm sorry you're having problems but remember you came to a PT Cruiser ENTHUSIAST's site to bash the car.
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 23 Feb 2010, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

All three (3) post were bashes, funny, eh???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Feb 2010, 08:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think he needs his Crown Vic back so he can hang and the Crown Vic enthusiast site...he can bash the Cruiser from there.

My point of view is different though because I ENJOY working on own my cars. One of my friends makes fun of me and calls me "greasemonkey" but I am who I am and he spreads his cheeks every time he takes his car in for work.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 25 Feb 2010, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Trust me, I'd love to have it back! It handled better, rode better, was more reliable and even got better gas mileage! Maybe that's why Ford didn't need a bailout?

I originally sought out this forum looking for answers and troubleshooting advice, but apparently the people on it drank the kool-aid and think this car can do no wrong! Fine, so be it. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of mine is the blue book value is so little!

Yeah, it was cute... it was a clever idea, but it fell short of what it was capable of being (maybe that's why the designer went to GM). That's sad... the potential was so much more. Go ahead and revel in your niche... I had a friend once who was sold on Jaguars... so much so that he owned two... so he would always have one to drive while the other was in the shop! Personally, I'd rather have just one car that runs when I need to go somewhere!

I got the PT because my wife liked them... I'll stick with my Explorer!
Old 26 Feb 2010, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought most Explorers were crushed during Cash for Clunkers.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Lol! Crown vic too!

OP: if you beat a car it repays the favor. Regular maintenance is required on all vehicles... I can make a lambo run like shit too, or a jag, porsche, etc. You get out what you put in. For sensors only use mopar/oem many aftermarket sensors fail quickly.

Ps- car washing is part of it too, salt and dirt build ups cause corrosion of the electronics and body... Just a fyi, how many show quality cars have you seen broken down? Exactly
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 28 Feb 2010, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
#1 The Explorer, unlike the Cruiser is STILL being built... and bought.
#2 The biggest problem with the Explorer was caused by Firestone tires.
#2 The Explorer gets about the same mileage as the Cruiser but hauls a heck of a lot more.
#4 Ford didn't need bailout money from the tax payers!
#5 Kelly Blue Book puts the 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo at less than $1,800 more than a 98 Explorer that's 5 years older with 50,000 more miles. In response to the later post faulting lack of maintenance, I service BOTH of them regulary and have had to put far less into the Explorer (even though it's 5 years older) than the Cruiser. It's pretty arrogant to assume you know how someone else maintains their cars! Oh, and I live in North Carolina, so road salt is not an issue. Even the local Chrysler dealer has admitted that the Cruiser was not one of Chrysler's better vehicles.

I'll maintain and drive it until it falls apart, because it's still cheaper in the long run than buying a new car (and maybe getting stuck with another lemon) but to continue to praise and recommend it... NOT A CHANCE.
Closed Thread