PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Regular Gas or Premium

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Regular Gas or Premium

Hello!

I am new to the forum and a happy new owner of a 2004 PT Cruiser GT Turbo H.O. I bought it last week with 72k+ on it. My wife and I are extremely happy and I think our new born baby girl loves it too!

Anyway, the dealer did not mention if I should use regular gas or premium. So after I got the car, I filled it up with just regular almost full tank. THEN!!! I just read it is recommended to us premium? Am I in trouble? I had this car for almost 2 weeks now running on regular gas only but I haven't encountered any problems aside from when the AC is on the car vibrates a little bit.

Should I use premium right away? How about the remaining regular gas in the tank? Can I mix regular gas with premium in transition to using the premium gas?

Sorry too many questions. This is my first car here in the U.S. Also, my Mopar BOP is arriving today! Can't wait!

Thanks!

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Regular Gas or Premium

Run it out. Just don't get on the car too much. Won't hurt to run some regular. You'll have less power and less mpg, though. Premium is what you want to use. You'll be able to use the full potential of the car and get better mpg than if you used regular.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Oh thank God I though I am about to destroy something! What do you mean by "Just don't get on the car too much"?

I'll gas it with premium when it is near empty on the fuel indicator. I know some regular will be still in the tank when I put premium I hope its ok. I am so new to this haha.

Thank you so much! Very nice forum btw!

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 02:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Mean Green was saying not to stomp on the throttle too much or wind up the revs to red line. Also, the fuel pump and gas filter is located at the bottom of the tank. It's cooled and lubricated by the gas itself so it's not advisable to go lower that 1/8 of a tank of gas. Once in awhile won't hurt it but continued emptying of the tank could burn out the pump.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forums.
Aside from feeding it premium, I'd recommend an oil & filter change and put syntheic oil in there.
Next, get a good brand of sprk plug wires and change the plugs and wires - the Champion plugs are okay - gap at 0.035.
Easy to do on a turbo.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Mar 2010, 01:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions. I got the Mopar BOP the other day and still saving up for a Magnaflow exaust =)

I might just do the oil change and filter this Tuesday. Synthetic oil? Any suggestion? I might also go to our local custom body shop to have the BOP installed. Sorry for the noobness!

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Premium Prefered or suggested but not required. As previously mentioned when using regular unleaded do not push the Turbo.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 12:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxb2001 View Post
Premium Prefered or suggested but not required. As previously mentioned when using regular unleaded do not push the Turbo.
In fact, sell the GT and buy a Honda if you want to burn regular.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Mar 2010, 03:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Figure that the average fill up is around 10-11 gallons if your not running it bone dry each time, which is never a good idea. The difference between regular and premium is on average 20 cents a gallon. So for around a $2.00 savings on a fill up you risk engine problems down the road, not as good of mileage and the aggravating pinging/knocking noise and less performance. I don't see the positive side of using regular gas. You bought a performance car why not treat it like one. Just my .02 cents......
Old 21 Mar 2010, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
The difference between regular and premium is on average 20 cents a gallon. So for around a $2.00 savings on a fill up
I agree 100% except that it depends on where you live. The #%!#@$#@!! stations around here are anywhere from .30 to .45 cents difference between regular and premium.