PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

150 miles to a tank of gas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to realityrunner Send a message via Yahoo to realityrunner
Exclamation 150 miles to a tank of gas?

I have a 2003 Turbo GT that currently has a little over 123,000 miles on it, recently the car started to make hideous noises so I took it to a mechanic who told me an oil tube leading to my turbo got plugged up over time and essentially burnt the turbo out, I had also noticed the trip odometer reading 150-160 miles when I filled up at a gas station with a low gas light on. Speaking of, when the low gas light comes on the car only ever takes 10.??? gallons of gas.

I opted to have the turbo rebuilt since the car is so old. Got the car back a week ago and it runs fantastic...except I just filled up this morning and noticed my trip odometer read 155 miles with a low gas light on. Doing some Googling lead to several "solutions" on these forums such as bad wiring/sensors which supposedly runs $1000, speeding in the car to "blow it out" (whatever that means?), and simply trying to disconnect the battery to reset the cars computer.

I know nothing about cars and most mechanics just say: "Oh well those Turbos sure do suck gas!" It just doesn't make since to me since I had a 2003 Ram 1500 "Rumble Bee" that got about 225 per tank.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 150 miles to a tank of gas?

Welcome to the forums.
If you driving is stop-n-go, you'll get lousy mileage.
use search and read - tire pressure is the easiest thing you can do to improve mileage.
At 123,000 miles, I hope you've had the timing belt replaced.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Mar 2010, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you had regular maintenance on the PT? Plugs and wires changed? Air filter checked? 02 sensors replaced? I take it you aren't using synthetic oil. The probably prevented the oil tube from getting clogged up. Do you know your supposed to let the engine/turbo cool down after a run? That alone might have stopped the line clogging even after using conventional oil.

Like QSD noted, air pressure, and stop & go driving will kill mileage on a car that doesn't do well in the first place.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

That was a surprise to me too. My first fill up got me about 16 MPG. I checked the tires and added air and drove a little more conservative, last two tanks yielded 19 +. I can live with that.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 09:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

See I have an 03 too. I changed the plugs n wires, re gapped them to .030 and changed my tires to 215/50/17s and this last time, so far, ive gotten 125 miles out of a quarter of a tank. Best mileage run so far.

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Old 22 Apr 2010, 02:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

Now that the Cruiser is getting used to the way I drive and using premium I am now getting close to 22mpg. This is a marked improvement over the first couple of tanks. Check your air pressure too.
Old 22 Apr 2010, 04:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLONE_06 View Post
See I have an 03 too. I changed the plugs n wires, re gapped them to .030 and changed my tires to 215/50/17s and this last time, so far, ive gotten 125 miles out of a quarter of a tank. Best mileage run so far.

~CYCLONE_06
Don't believe for a minute that you'll get 125 per 1/4 tank. The gas always seems to last longer the first 1/2 of the tank. It5's the 2nd half that goes quick.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Apr 2010, 07:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Don't believe for a minute that you'll get 125 per 1/4 tank. The gas always seems to last longer the first 1/2 of the tank. It5's the 2nd half that goes quick.
I wonder why that is? I often wondered why that happens. I even went on fuelly.com and did some research and it seemed like to me, that people that filled up with half a tank or more were logging better gas mileage. You would think the extra weight of the fuel should if anything take away a slight bit of mileage.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 23 Apr 2010, 07:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityrunner View Post
...low gas light on. Speaking of, when the low gas light comes on the car only ever takes 10.??? gallons of gas.

[snip] ... It just doesn't make since to me since I had a 2003 Ram 1500 "Rumble Bee" that got about 225 per tank.
The same thing just happened to me, fuel light came on, and it only took 10 gallons. I have yet to figure out when I'm 'really' low on gas - but better safe than hitchiking!

Also - it's pretty hard to compare 'tankfuls' if the vehicles have different size tanks.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Absolutely true. The top "half" is more like two thirds. The gauge isn't linear.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles