Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2010, 09:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Turbo check

I just bought an 05 GT auto with 30,000 miles on it. How can i know that my turbo is working right and giving the correct amount of power?
The reason i ask is because sometimes it seems like it has more power than other times, and if i turn on the air conditioner, it gets almost weak.
i have never owned a pt cruiser or a turbo before so i really dont know what to expect.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 10:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo check

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_or_not_PT View Post
I just bought an 05 GT auto with 30,000 miles on it. How can i know that my turbo is working right and giving the correct amount of power?
The reason i ask is because sometimes it seems like it has more power than other times, and if i turn on the air conditioner, it gets almost weak.
i have never owned a pt cruiser or a turbo before so i really dont know what to expect.

on a turbo car. the outside air temp will always play a factor on how the car feels. Hotter days it will feel slower and in the colder days it will feel stronger. when you have the A/C on its putting a bit more load on the engine which is why it will feel a tiny bit slower but its pretty much running about the same.

if you wanna check the turbo its self. unbolt the Turbo to Air Box pipe (TTAB) when the car is cold and off. use your fingers and inside the inlet grab the center of the wheel and give it a slight wiggle. if it moves a little to a small amount its good but if it rocks alot and catching on the sides when turning. might be time to look at a new one, but with your car at only 30k it should be fine.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 15 Apr 2010, 01:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

At 30k you are worrying about nothing. I'd be more worried about the boost leaks you have. All vacuum lines need to be zip tied and intercooler hoses need T bolt clamps. Boost leaks will make a big difference in how a car runs and most turbo cars have boost leak(s) straight from the factory or very soon after.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 Apr 2010, 02:00 pm
Young Cruiser

nevinsrt- now im curious why turbos run better on cool days lol.

Mean Green- that is the main thing i am concerned with. thats why i was wondering how i could find out if i did have any boost leaks? if i had always drove the vehicle it would be easy, if it suddenly got weaker, i would know something was wrong. but i just bought it and dont have any clue as to how it SHOULD run.
So is there a way to check to see if i have any boost leaks?
Old 15 Apr 2010, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You do!!! Didn't you read that you need zip ties and "T" clamps. Do that and then come back and report.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Apr 2010, 06:18 pm
Young Cruiser

So i DEFINITELY have turbo leaks if somebody hasnt zip tied and T clamped the hoses and lines?!?!?
Old 15 Apr 2010, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep!!! That is where I'd start, what do you have to lose. Peeps on here have all been thru what you are going thru.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Apr 2010, 07:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Does anyone have a diagram or picture that i could look at to know which lines and hoses i should work on?