Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0304 Cleared...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2010, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking P0304 Cleared...

I had some other threads on this code but thought I'd share the final resolution....

I did the following over the past months...
1) Replaced Valve Cover Gaskets / Spark Plug Well Gaskets as the plugs were very wet (on top near boot) - Code did NOT clear.
2) Replaced Intake Manifold Gasket (upper) Code did NOT clear.
3) Replaced Plugs and Wires - Code did NOT clear.
4) Replace the Coil - Code did NOT clear
5) Replaced the injector (#4) - Code did NOT clear.
6) Replaced the Intake Manifold Gasket (Lower). The gasket was broken for sure - Code CLEARED!!!!

I can tell you with certainty that I now know how to take everything apart and what sizes those nuts and bolts are. Off all the things I did, #1 and #6 were the hardest.

If you are attempting any of these items, I would be glad to share my tips and what's involved. There really wasn't anything tricky about any of those items....

I hope this helps others with their ride...

Farewell brothers....

Duff

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Apr 2010 at 07:16 pm.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 07:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo
Default Re: P0304 Cleared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffner View Post
I had some other threads on this code but thought I'd share the final resolution....

I did the following over the past months...
1) Replaced Valve Cover Gaskets / Spark Plug Well Gaskets as the plugs were very wet (on top near boot) - Code did NOT clear.
2) Replaced Intake Manifold Gasket (upper) Code did NOT clear.
3) Replaced Plugs and Wires - Code did NOT clear.
4) Replace the Coil - Code did NOT clear
5) Replaced the injector (#4) - Code did NOT clear.
6) Replaced the Intake Manifold Gasket (Lower). The gasket was broken for sure - Code CLEARED!!!!

I can tell you with certainty that I now know how to take everything apart and what sizes those f..... nuts and bolts are. Off all the things I did, #1 and #6 were the hardest.

If you are attempting any of these items, I would be glad to share my tips and what's involved. There really wasn't anything tricky about any of those items....

I hope this helps others with their ride...

Farewell brothers....

Duff
Thanks Duff, I guess I will be attempting an intake manifold soon here. I am going to replace with a plastic one in the process. I just have to price it out at dealer here.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Gaskets are cheap; about $6 USD each. It's the lower one that's more difficult to change (it's the one against the block)...

Good luck. If I was in Canada, I'd change it for you for a 6pack of good Canuck Beer
Old 19 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffner View Post
Gaskets are cheap; about $6 USD each. It's the lower one that's more difficult to change (it's the one against the block)...

Good luck. If I was in Canada, I'd change it for you for a 6pack of good Canuck Beer
Ah man, I would buy you a 2X4 LOL

Ya, and I am getting too old for this, and now we live in a condo and not allowed to repair autos.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 08:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Why was the lower one hard, just access to the bolts???

Reason I am asking is I am changing out the radiator and am also going to pull the upper intake and valvle cover on my 03 GT so I can change the upper radiator hose.

I want to paint the upper intake with some black wrinkle paint and also the valve cover.

Since I will remove the grill to gain access, should I replace the lower intake manifold gasket as a precaution?

any tips on the valve cover gakset and spark plug well seals???

Mine is an 03 GT stick with 100K on it.
Old 01 May 2010, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I first removed the two bolts that hold the upper intake (there on the back near the firewall and turbo)... Then unscrew the rubber air intake clamp (regular screw driver) and slide off. I then unbolted the upper intake manifold section from the bottom section and propped up the upper intake.

When you do the lower section of the intake manifold, you'll need to pop out the fuel rail (injectors). You may want to check with the others here but I just popped it off and didn't release the pressure. Before I started it, I turned the ignition to on position(not to crank but to prime the engine)....I did that twice and it started fine. Also be careful not to let any dirt fall into the fuel injector holes.....Also the dip stick is bolted to the lower section (screw is on the bottom side of the manifold). I just yanked the lower manifold out with the dip stick.

YES, would definitely change the gasket, not a very hard thing to do... Just line it up properly.

The cool thing is you'll see the condition of the tops of your valves... Mine were horrible; black and crusty. Took some degreaser/cleaner but it didn't help much.

I also just swung the upper radiator hose out of the way; used a bunge cord to hold it back. But you may want to change the hose it you think it's soft...

Feel free to ask any other questions...

My home email is ragtop396@yadtel.net (NC)..
Old 01 May 2010, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Forgot you were changing the valve cover gaskets.... Nothing special except torque them properly and DON'T overtighten....

Also beware of the hard plastic line on the side of the air intake 4 inch tube (the big rubber housing coming from the air filter box). This little line broke on mine as I pulled it and there wasn't enought slack. It was an easy fix but I figured it would prevent you from breaking it...

Good luck..
Old 02 Feb 2014, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down P0304 won't Cleare

P0304 won't clear HELP!!!
2008 PT Cruiser, 90,900 miles. I still have a few disturbing problems. P0304 code twice now. The P0301 code went away. I replaced the ignition coil and wires and plugs. Now it flashes the engine light and sputters sometime. It runs good, but I'm concern with this engine check light and the p0304 code. This code won't clear or stay cleared.
What direction I should focus on now?
Please give me your thoughts, Thank you, Jimmie
Old 02 Feb 2014, 09:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Intake manifold gasket. Replace it.
Old 04 Feb 2014, 10:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, but I already changed them, upper and lower at the same time. If your talking about the Intake manifold gasket on the exhaust manifold I haven't done that.
Is this what your talking about?
Look at my other post regarding this problem and you will see what I have done so far, thank you, Jimmie