PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Won't Start---Can't get fault codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2010, 08:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't Start---Can't get fault codes

Hi To All from a Newbie to this site,
As briefly as I can explain my problem, I would appreciate your collective knowledge and experience solving it. THANKS

* 2004 Turbo GT, 46K miles, original owner, NO similiar problems before.

* Wife started car just fine, but it died and would make metallic "clacking' noise when she tried to restart it without turning over fast enough to fire up.

* Charging the battery or jumping it did no good--- the same clacking noise but no restart.

* Had battery tested at load, etc and it was fine.

* Reinstalled battery after cleaning the battery cable clamps (they looked great) and cleaned the negative cable to engine mounting point (that was fun getting to).

* Engine now cranks fine but will not FIRE or start up.

* I have repeatedly tried to find error codes by turning the key from off (and from acc) to on, ending in the on position within 5 seconds, but I have not got ANY codes or a DONE in the odometer window in the dash.

HELP-- this is driving me crazy to figure out. ANY IDEAS ??? Thanks
Old 17 May 2010, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Won't Start---Can't get fault codes

First, you must be doing the key dance thing wrong because all PT's will give a code (if there is one) or say "done". You have to turn the key 3 times in 5 seconds for it to work. There are problems that won't set a light off so maybe a trip to whoever has a scanner will show something.

At first it sounded as though your starter was at fault but later during your explanation you said it's cranking but not starting so that says your starter is working. Could be a bad coil not getting spark to the plugs or a bad fuel pump not getting fuel to the injectors. Again, a scanner can go in deeper than the key dance and hopefully find the problem.
Old 17 May 2010, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

* Regarding finding codes, I've done this before on other cars, is usually pretty straight forward. BUT, after 20 some tries, I get Nothing but the odo reading.

* Yes, at first it wouldn't crank fast enough to start. After battery out and in. it now cranks fine but won't fire at all.

* If I can't get it running to take it in for a diagnostic, I'm looking at a BIG wrecker bill as I live in the sticks of northern Michigan.

* Any more ideas ??? Thanks
Old 17 May 2010, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, no. Hopefully somebody else might come along with something for you.
Old 17 May 2010, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Again
Old 18 May 2010, 07:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You getting spark? If yes, spray starting fluid inair intake - that stuff ignites if you just THINK about a spark....

If no spark, check for 12V at the coil.

You may not have an error cose, but you should at least get "done".

Turn key to "ON" - right before where starter engages
Back on click to "OFF"
on
off
on
done quickly.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 May 2010, 07:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are you hearing the fuel pump buzz when you first turn the key on?

When you do the key dance, don't rotate the key all the way to the accessory position. If you are not getting a code, I wonder if your computer is bad.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 Jun 2010, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, 2 weeks after wreckering the PT to the nearest dealer and they eventually taking it to their mother store for additional help, they think it's fixed. They diagnosed the initial problem as the PCM, and replaced it. Then, the vehicle would run OK but it kept tripping the service lite, so they ordered another PCM to try. Meanwhile, they kept reprograming PCM #2 and finally the lite stayed off.
I sure hope this thing is REALLY fixed , once and FOR ALL. This time it's under warranty ( they may or may not pay the wrecker bill) , but the warranty will soon expire.
Thanks for your assistance, Ron
Old 01 Jun 2010, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope they found the problem for you. Good luck.