Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which cold air intake did you choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2010, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Which cold air intake did you choose?

Well I'm just curious about which CAI is the most popular... I choose S&B because I like the "under glass look" that it has, and it filters out more dirt than the slightly less expensive AFE CAI... Plus the re-charge kit is so much easier to use since they give you the "precision" kit. Plus, I like less popular brands, don't get me wrong, K&N makes good stuff I just see way too many cars with their stickers on them.
Old 22 May 2010, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Wumpus
Default Re: Which cold air intake did you choose?

After reading alot about the intakes here and on ptcrew, I went with the airbox mod and a K&N filter. So far 10,000 miles on it and loving it. No complaints at all.
The big issue with it was that the cold air intakes are mostly taking air from the engine compartment. That air is a lot warmer than the air that it is sucking in from the tire well.
I'll leave you to do your own research on it, but the airbox mod worked best for me.
-Wumpus
Old 22 May 2010, 04:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumpus View Post
After reading alot about the intakes here and on ptcrew, I went with the airbox mod and a K&N filter. So far 10,000 miles on it and loving it. No complaints at all.
The big issue with it was that the cold air intakes are mostly taking air from the engine compartment. That air is a lot warmer than the air that it is sucking in from the tire well.
I'll leave you to do your own research on it, but the airbox mod worked best for me.
-Wumpus
Excellent choice.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 24 May 2010, 01:12 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm running the K&N FIPK, which includes a heatshield. Not sure how effective the heatshield is but I like the way the car sounds with the open filter!!!
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 26 May 2010, 11:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Airbox mod for me. I do own an Airraid that I put on sometimes because I like to hear to turbo whine more. I chose it because it forms a seal against the bottom of the hood that keeps out the hot engine air. I have also plumbed intake air from the front facia to a port I created with fiberglass in the bottom of the airbox.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 May 2010, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I went with the TTAB Hardpipe with Airbox Mod

Car Definitely pulls harder (according to butt dyno), Got better gas mileage, and can hear the turbo spool better :-)
Old 28 May 2010, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

AirAid intake. I drive 68 on the x ways and have gotten what I think very good avg mileage. Sounds good also, I believe that I get 2-3 MPG more with it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 May 2010, 08:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccrstar View Post
I went with the TTAB Hardpipe with Airbox Mod

Car Definitely pulls harder (according to butt dyno), Got better gas mileage, and can hear the turbo spool better :-)
Get your butt dyno recalibrated.

Oh boy, another "better gas mileage". Would you please explain how a bit more air gives better mpg.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 May 2010, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For me, as I track every gas fill up, my numbers show it for the same kind of driving in the same conditions.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 May 2010, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Get your butt dyno recalibrated.

Oh boy, another "better gas mileage". Would you please explain how a bit more air gives better mpg.
That's quite simple ... 1. The factory TTAB is very restrictive! which means the engine is having a little trouble breathing. by opening it up, More air flow, allows the engine to breath better, More Air, provides more Power, thus more efficiency since it doesn't need to work as hard. Think of it as getting one of those Tiny Red Duncan Donuts straw and trying to blow in. It'll be difficult but manageable. Then take the straws from McD or BK that's used in soft drinks and you find your self sucking a lot more air.

2. See my SIGGIE!!!

I track my fuel economy in not only a book but fuelly as well. and gas mileage went up after installing the TTAB Hard Pipe. I actually drive worse now then before just so I can hear the turbo spool and bov go woooosh

Also, if you look at the history... I never broke 19.7MPG prior to installing it.

Nuff Said