PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem with Turbo or Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2010, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with Turbo or Transmission

Hi guys, need help here.

I have a PT 2003 GT Automatic transmission (55,000 miles). There is a whistle that I do not know where it comes from. This whistle appears like 3 months ago, at the begging the whistle was soft, but now is harderd, particylary in the morning when the engine is cool.

The whistle sound increase with acceleration either forward or backwards (reverse). The whistle is only heard when transmission is engaged. There is no whistle if the car is in neutral or parking and I press de gas pedal.

I took the car to the mechanic, he inspected it and said the problem was with the automatic transmission, maybe the turbine. Then, I took the car to a transmission shop, and they said the sound is from the turbo. These guys said they checked out the oil pan looking for metal chips that may appear if the turbine fails, also check the transmission filter and found no signs of malfunction.

The car accelerates fine and I feel the transmission changes are done well. There are no codes in the computer.

The only strange thing had happen a couple of times is that car lost power on uphills. The engine does not respond, if I press gas pedal the engine is like dying, then suddenly the engine came back to normal operation and acceleration works. I do not know if that is related to the whistle.

So, I need help to identify if the transmission or the turbo are doing that whistle.
Old 25 May 2010, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with Turbo or Transmission

I bet you have a boost or vacuum leak. Check all the hoses -
be sure they are tight
check for splits or cracks

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 May 2010, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I bet you have a boost or vacuum leak. Check all the hoses -
be sure they are tight
check for splits or cracks
Turbo cars are famous for boost leaks. All vacuum hoses should be zip tied and the intercooler hoses should have the crappy factory wormdrive clamps replaced with T bolt clamps.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 May 2010, 11:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Agree, it sounds like you are just hearing the turbo whine more...this is a good thing! You really won't hear it when you just blip the engine in neutral, you aren't really boosting much doing that. Do you have a boost gauge? The loss of power you describe is because you are loosing the boost somewhere. These cars are dogs without boost.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 26 May 2010, 01:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

My modified '03 GT sounded like a small jet plane when I got on it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic