Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advice needed on next possible mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2010, 02:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Advice needed on next possible mods

Ok so I posted this in my thread (when I first joined) but seeing as it's pages long I just thought I'd post a new one.

About a month ago, I replaced my spark plug wires with some Taylor's and replaced my spark plugs with NGK Coppers gapped at 35. I'm also running straight pipe (stock muffler gone).

Just yesterday I installed a K&N FIPK Intake, and earlier today I purchased the plastic upper and lower intake manifold to replace my stock aluminum one.

The next few things that'll be done (all thanks to a member on here+SRT4 forums) are;

Ported exhaust manifold
Ported turbo
577cc fuel injectors
3" o2 housing
AGP WGA

Things will be monitored (boost/etc) so things don't go pop

Anyway, with those mods in mind...what else will I require in terms of fuel? Will I need an upgraded fuel pump or something else along those lines?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

-Freddy
Old 23 Oct 2010, 10:07 am
Banned

Default Re: Advice needed on next possible mods

Your stock fuel system is fine with mods you have planned at this point. Do you have a mtx or atx? Actually with either one the AGP wastegate will be prone to ptb, just more so with the atx. Ptb does not play well with atx's. Either the stock Mopar stage 2 waste gate or the FM (Forward Motion) will work much smoother because they are controlled by the PCM. The stage 2's have been discontinued by Mopar and even the used ones are really in demand right now because of that. The FM is available on their own website.

As far as gauges, you must have them with these mods. No ifs, ands or buts you MUST have them. A top quality boost gauge and a top quality AFR gauge are the first two of the three you need. The third that I would recommend is the Aeroforce Interceptor. It was the first scantool gauge to hit the market. It monitors all of the oem sensors, fuel management parameters, and vehicle performance that are available in the oem PCM. They also have adapters that will give you oil pressure, map sensor, egt, etc. if you feel the need. It even has the capability to flash warning lights if you exceed any of the "safe" levels that you have chosen to use as alert safety readings. These three gauges can be used in one of the three gauge pillar units that are sold practically everywhere.

It's just my opinion, but I see absolutely no reason for any other gauges on our PT's. For example, you don't need a separate fuel gauge, because in the event of a fuel pressure problem, the PCM would sense this fault in a micro-second and shut your engine dowm LONG before you would have a chance to respond to a fuel pressure gauge, that's if you even happened to be looking at it at the time your pressure problem happened. The only time you would need to know the pressure is if you have changed from your stock system and are setting up a new regulator for example and the type gauge you would use in that case would be temporarily mounted near the fuel rail on the engine. The gauge would be superfluous after that one use. It's not like the old days when you didn't have our computer "mothers" to take care of us. "Mom" will keep us safe. Another example is the PCM will also sense any lower than normal oil pressure and either alert us (a cell) or shut the engine down.

I've had those three for years, even though my PT is an NA. I use the "boost" gauge to monitor my "Snow" system. The boost gauge also reads vacuum and that is what controls the Snow.

Jerry
Old 23 Oct 2010, 12:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hey Jerry, appreciate the long reply

Don't worry, I will have gauges to monitor what you listed. I merely stated that it too would be monitored when parts are installed/messed with/etc. Person who's doing this for me owns 2 SRT4's that he's worked on himself so I know it'll be in good hands. In fact, anytime I had a question I'd just call him up and he walked me through the way every time.

Anyway, I don't need more gauges than necessary so I'll go with what you recommend.

So a no on the AGP WGA huh? Guess I'll look around for the one you recommended.

Oh and it's an automatic.

Now if ONLY I can find an S1 for my car

I plan on getting a Diablosport Predator Tuner as well after all this but I recall it doesn't do anything for the tranny...hmmm...
Old 23 Oct 2010, 01:24 pm
Banned

Glad to help. If your friend is the one that recommended the AGP it was simply because he wasn't aware what the ptb would do to our atx's. The SRT4's don't come with atx's so he just wasn't familiar with our problem with it. Even with the mtx it really takes some work and practice to get it to a bareable state and it's still hard even on the stick shifts but they get used to it. The erratic "instant" unexpected timing of the onset of the boost (Part Throttle Boost) is really scary. Especially after you first put it in. It'll scare the crap out of you on your first test run with the ptb. "Huge, unexpected torque steer" is a term that fits nicely here.

Since a lot of the SRT4's run the FM wastegate he'll probably be aware that you will need to grind a small 1/2" notch in your exhaust manifold to make it work, but believe me it's worth it. The FM and the Mopar stage 2 are smooth as silk. The stage 2 doesn't need the notch but they are HARD to find.

The stage 1 PCM is the only way to go if you want the benefit of the tranny improvements. The DSP doen't offer any tranny improvements, only stage 1 does this. The DSP does offer power levels well above the stage 1. It comes with a "standard" 93 octane tune that a lot of people are using and stopping there. It also comes in more powerful tunes, but you have to do some tuning of them on your own with these tunes to achieve the REALLY high horsepower. If you're not "diy tune" friendly most people take the DSP tunes to a local dyno shop and have them do the tunes safely for them. You really have to able to make sense of some confusing and complicated graph logs to get the most out of these advanced tunes. Most importantly, you have to have that knowledge to keep your engine safe as a result of these changes. If you do them wrong you'll be asking for some instant trouble.

Unfortunantly, the only other company that had actually cracked the Chrysler atx codes and was offering a tranny upgraded tune was Keene Bell and they only offered it for the N/As because our turbos weren't available at the time they were offering this mod (prior to 03). They stopped making the units a couple years later because of the availability of our turbo PTs. Fortunantly, I got one one of there units while they were still available. I called them a couple years ago to ask if I could get a new one or get mine repaired if mine fails someday and their answer was short, but not sweet---no. They moved on and left us behind. I'll probably go with SCT when the Kenne Bell fails, but it doesn't offer the tranny changes, just more power.

Jerry
Old 23 Oct 2010, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Alright, I'll give him a call in a little while and give him the headsup.

I did mention doing the plugs+and spark plug wires but those don't require pics

However I recently added the intake so here it is. Also, I picked up the plastic intake manifold. Purchased the gaskets between the mani and block just in case I need it otherwise I'll just have extra parts.

Old 25 Oct 2010, 07:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

Dodge Neon SRT4 SRT-4 INTERCOOLER 03-06 36"x6"x4": eBay Motors (item 130439185033 end time Nov-02-10 21:11:47 PDT)

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

At that price, bigger intercooler (even though it's a much later mod) is something I can swing by with the other mods I plan on getting Mole' but after much reading they don't use the same intercooler (SRT4's and PT GT's). Something with the way the engine is mounted or something.

Really did like the downpipe from needswings though

Might rather go with AGP with BOV flange for the up pipe
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

did not know they were different designs for the FMIC. that blows

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 26 Oct 2010, 12:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Not a necessary mod anytime soon anyway. Would've been nice though.

Maybe a sprayer kit for my intercooler could still be in the works.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 01:12 pm
Banned

Kawizx9r, I see you're saying that you're going back to the AGP. (sigh) I tried. If you want some other confirmations on this go to PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. the next time you check the thread that I see you started over there. If I were you I'd start putting a little back now and then for an atx rebuild fund. Ptb is an automatic transmission killer, but I said that before.

As far as a fmic sprayer, there are a couple other ways to go on this. The sprayer works fine but off the line at lower rpm and at lower speed of the air flow through the ic you would be well into your run through the 1/4 before you started to get the benefits of the sprayer. Getting a bigger ic would be quicker and easier, But you still would have the lack of really significant cooling until you're well into the run. Taggert_LOA over at The Crew sells a Stage 2 and a Stage 3 (bigger and biggest) version of our stock intercooler. They both will bolt right up. It doesn't get any easier than that. There is also a guy over at The Crew working on a completely differant fmic way to go, but it's not finished yet. Josh over at the Crew will probably be the first to test it.

I think I'm done here. Good luck.

Jerry