Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Diablsport Predator Tuner problem...please read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2010, 08:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Diablsport Predator Tuner problem...please read

Ok so my DSP arrived today (was stoked about that!).

First things first, I went to plug it into my vehicle to perform the tune and I get CALLID message.

Quick call, DSP says I need to 'Calibrate' it via DSDownloader (its the big button in the program which updates the tuner). Ok so I go purchase a Gigaware USB/Serial cable and Universal AC/DC adapter (12v/1a).

Install the serial/USB drivers and plug it in. It turns on and works just fine, and DSDownloader properly connects to my tuner. I 'calibrate' it as DSP said (you can't miss it, like i said its a big button) and go back to plug it into my car.

Well, things seemed to be going fine because I went through a key dance and sort, and instead of displaying that it would copy the original stock file it said something about updating/loading. Well at about 95% on progress bar (numerically it said 55%) Well, afterward it said failed to update. I got missing file/VPP Issue.

It reboots, and launches app/program and says it failed to update and if I'd like to continue. It restarts from that last point and fails again.

Well at this point, it's not doing anything so I disconnect it (tried it over and over). Now I can't turn on my car (the red light is on in the RPM gauge) which apparently means the SKIM kicked in.

The vendor of my DSP was stumped and says the only thing he can think of (in regards to the DSP itself and the file/VPP issue) is that he thinks that EVEN THOUGH my PC properly connected to the DSP, that maybe the cable failed to properly send/update the DSP. That apparently the cables are a huge HIT or MISS and knows of only a few that properly work.

So now, my car won't turn on (I tried leaving the key in the RUN/ON mode) for an hour like I was told which will reset it but after an hour and 20....it still doesn't work. I just disconnected the battery and letting the PCM reset as I type this and hopefully that'll work.

My cousin is on the way bringing a few serial/usb cables of his own so I can recalibrate/update the tuner via PC to see if that was the case.

As for the tuner, I can go through the GUI of diagnostics/etc and everything seems to work fine.

Anyone ever had this happen or think they know what might be going on? And is there another way to start my car? I need it running by tomorrow morning (even if its without the DSP tune). Oh and like I said, the DSP is NOT married (it says so on the DSDownloader when I check the log/info) and on the tuner itself because nothing was ever written to it.

-Freddy
Old 05 Nov 2010, 10:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Diablsport Predator Tuner problem...please read

Never experinced this with mine and cant recall seeing anyone else either. May want to ask over on ptcrew as a lot of us are running these. If its happened before to someone else, it should be there.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:41 am
Banned

I see you're getting it straightened out over at The Crew. I agree with your current process of sending it to DSP and let them them figure it out with "parts-in-hand". I do remember that "ourPTGT" and a couple others had a similar problem and they eventually got it worked out. Owners need to understand that the DSP in most (not all) cases is a hand held tuner that you have to make the choices that result in your "tune" yourself. Unfortunantly, from what I read over at the Crew, after you had done everything correctly with yours, it still wouldn't work. Like I said, not unheard of with the DSP.

I know you'll get it done.

Jerry
Old 06 Nov 2010, 08:08 am
Banned

Just a couple other quick things. There was a vendor that was selling DSP packages that had turned the short & long term knock control OFF. COMPLETLY OFF. It's a nice feature to be able to control the stkr & ltkr but its nuts to turn it off.

Also there is an SCT vendor over at the Crew. His name is SebringLX and his SCT PCM mod is a very good upgrade. Espeacially his SCT PRO. He even has a program for for us N/A guys, but I don't know anyone that has tried it yet. My Kenne Bell is still doing its thing, but if it ever goes, it'll be a toss-up between the SCT and the AF/X for the replacement.

Jerry
Old 08 Nov 2010, 05:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'll spare everyone the details (if anyone's even reading this).

The OBD cable on the tuner was bad. Was replaced and tested so I should be good to go. Also, the PCM was brought back to stock (in case the DSP did anything to the PCM) so everything should be A-OK!

Can't wait
Old 09 Nov 2010, 04:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

not that many replys over here that on PTcrew.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 09 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

go to know....

Off the subject of PT's....

I had an issue when I first used the Superchips PCM for my Magnum, circa 2007. The original Superchip programming, in the box, was outdated due to the revisions of the ECU from Dodge in 2007. Superchips had to finalize testing before the updates went out, mind you this was during the END of 2007....I had a usless tool for half of the year. Once the new software was loaded, I proceeded to tune the car. I 'liked' the changes, but it did not do all that i wanted. It was a good analysis tool.

I gave that one up for a DSP....I will never look back. I love the fact that the DSP has precise engine tuning, traction control-ESP true disable (easier rolling burnouts) and a better transmission tuner. Since I upgraded to AMG paddle-shifting, it help adjust timing for better reaction. Also, after having it dyno tuned, I LOVE IT EVEN MORE!

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...