Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mod questions. New to the forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2011, 12:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mod questions. New to the forum.

I just realized that this is probably a better forum for the questions I have, then the regular tech and performance forum.

Hello all. I've been reading the forum here, and you all seem pretty knowledgeable. I have an 05 Dream Cruiser Series 4. automatic. I'm wanting to do some mods, for more power when I want it, and better gas mileage when I want it. My thoughts were, a k&n, the turbo xs dual stage boost controller (set one for gas mileage, one for performance), with an aem digital guage. I was also thinking about getting the diablosport predator. My question is, can I use the predator in conjunction with the dual stage boost controller? I read that the predator does boost control. Is there any point in having both, or will one override the other? I'm clueless.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mod questions. New to the forum.

Yes, the TURBO section is probably better for your question. I saw it in the regular Tech section and we do have plenty of Turbo owners that go all over the forum, that's why I let it stay there. Now that you've posted here, if nobody has answered your other post, I'll delete it.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 08:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yes to the K&N and get a set of hard pipes for the intake system. Get a freer flowing exhause.

With a DSP I don't think you will need the boost controller but I can't remember if the DSP supports your ATX. I alway get that one wrong so somebody else chime in here. I would really recommend getting a Stage 1 computer if for no other reason than to get the transmission firmed up with its programming. Your trans is really your weakest link. Don't boost in 4th or you will be buying a new one soon.

Do get a good boost gauge, digital or otherwise and if you are going to tune with the DSP get a wide band O2 setup.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 20 Jan 2011, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info!! ...A few of the things you've told me, may as well be in a different language to me! lol! but i'm gonna do some research on it. Such as, ATX, Stage 1 computer, and wide band 02 setup. I won't bother asking what these terms are, as I'm confused enough already! I'll look them up and try to get a firm grasp on all of this. Again, thank you!
Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

ATX is an automatic transmission. These cars can't handle boost in overdrive. You'll eventually grenade your transmission.

Mopar had 'Stage' kits that reprogrammed/replaced the computer, fuel injectors, and even the turbo at Stage 3. Naturally, power increases as you go higher in the 'Stage' tier. Mopar does not produce these anymore.

A wideband O2 sensor is essentially an O2 sensor that is placed in a bung in the exhaust that reports the air to fuel ratio of the exhaust to a gauge mounted inside the vehicle. Stoic is 14.7, which the computer will attempt to maintain at idle, deceleration and normal driving conditions, however, when you go wide open throttle (foot to the floor, and in boost) the ECU compensates by adding fuel, which will be reflected in your air-to-fuel ratio. If you go too lean (not enough fuel, too much air), cylinder pressures and temperatures will increase and you're likely to blow the engine. That's why a wideband is almost a must.

If DSP will work with your trans, you need to start with a wideband, and a boost gauge. Then pick up a DSP and just DON'T boost in 'D'. 'Manually' shift when you boost, or drop to '3'.

Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

+1 to what Chris said.

Yes, you can use a DSP with your car (I've got an 03 GT Auto). Thing is, the DSP's 93OCT tune is for stock/mildly modded vehicles.

If you're going to get into tuning+modding, I'll emphasize that Wideband is a must. Too rich or too lean and say bye to your engine.

Another thing to emphasize on (what Chris said), is DO NOT BOOST IN 4th!

I'd suggest you get a quality vac/boost gauge and take care of any and ALL boost leaks. Use some good clamps on your hoses and zipties for all your vacuum lines. You'll be surprised at the difference in power if you have any leaks and take care of them.

Here's my leak tester, and tester at work (connected to an air compressor at 20psi via built-in regulator).

Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

2.4 dudes always buy 2.0 cams from me. I think most are for turbo apps-
It changes firing order (you have to swap wires on the coil.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 12:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
2.4 dudes always buy 2.0 cams from me. I think most are for turbo apps-
It changes firing order (you have to swap wires on the coil.
Interesting. Do you swap injector connections too?
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

IDK. I've never done anything w/ the 2.4 until 'forced' to now.

The N/A engines need LOTS of cam. Where 18's turn the 2.0 into a zinger, it's moderate in a 2.4
(Again, what I hear, no first hand)
Old 25 Jan 2011, 02:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

2.0 cams don't change the firing order. They change the duration at which the valves open and close-- that's it.