Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stuttering Turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2011, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stuttering Turbo?

I have a 2005 2.4 L touring Turbo Conv with 93K miles just found and repaired a small leak from heater hose cleaned oil and coolant from engine with simple green filled up with 89 Oct gas and on the way home it started sputtering when trying to accelrate, let it set for a day intermiient sputterring when you hit the gas HARD. Feels like the turbo wont kick in. Check engine light came on code P0344 (cam shaft sensor intermittant) Anyone have this or know what to do?
Old 02 Feb 2011, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stuttering Turbo?

Welcome to the Forum. Replace the sensor, but get it from a dealer as our PT's do NOT like aftermarket electronics.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Feb 2011, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Welcome to the Forum. Replace the sensor, but get it from a dealer as our PT's do NOT like aftermarket electronics.
+1

Also, try not to boost at all if you're running a lower octane.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 10:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Lower octane gas will cause this sputtering....if you run anything under 91 octane you could get a sputter... Welcome to the wonderful world of Premium Gas
Old 04 Feb 2011, 12:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

DITTO DITTO DITTO and I'll tell you that sputter can cause a shift sometimes and affect the cam sensor, not sure why but it has to do with pre-detonation and some technical crap that the guys at DiabloSport tried to explain to me. I just said I'd run nothing but hi-octane and forgo the damnably miserable technical explanation.

Try to find a gas station that sells racing fuel - it's 100 octane normally and runs about $6.50 a gallon. Go ahead and spend the money on half a tank of that, then the other half fill up with 92/93 octane. Go drive it for a minimum 1/2 hour on the highway, and if you have any steep grades, go climb them. Me, I run up into the Smokies. You'll find, when you get home, if you pull a spark plug they will look like someone polished them. You also want to try and get up some pretty good speed while you're out, only after your engine is hot. This will help blow any "goo" out.

I made the mistake of filling up on crappy normal once, won't do that again, the sputtering and wheezing drove me nuts, and when I shut the engine down it wanted to keep on running! Was like an old school V8 on leaded gas.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What I learned for my 06 GT HO is that the sensor starts to fail @ 70k miles. I agree with the others that the dealer part is better (after a two week life span sensor from the local parts house). Replaced at 75k miles. never a problem and easy to change.