Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt cruiser mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2011, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt cruiser mufflers

I have a 2006 2.4 liter turbo pt and thinking about doing something very slight to improve the sound and performance of the car. I've heard that a glass pack would be a good idea but wanted to get some opinions....
Old 09 Mar 2011, 01:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Pt cruiser mufflers

Nope, bad idea. A turbo motor wants free flow, the more the better.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 05:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forums.
Gte a flow-thru (you can actually see thru the pipe) for good sound and low restriction.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Mar 2011, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok what about a magnaflow XL turbo muffler?
Old 09 Mar 2011, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i dont think that is a strigh tube I think its just a muffler with diffrent angel baffles id go for a cherry boomb
Old 09 Mar 2011, 01:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

As long as the muffler is flow through you won't lose power. If you do this do it for the sound because you won't gain any performance from just a muffler change.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 02:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

I did a muffler delete and added a 20" long Magnaflow resonator right after my downpipe.

When I upgraded my stock housing to a 3" o2 housing and stock downpipe to a 3" catless downpipe, it was loud as hell (straight pipe). Anyway, I was able to tone it down significantly with the resonator while achieving a nice, deep rumble.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 03:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Question Re: Pt cruiser mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
I did a muffler delete and added a 20" long Magnaflow resonator right after my downpipe.

When I upgraded my stock housing to a 3" o2 housing and stock downpipe to a 3" catless downpipe, it was loud as hell (straight pipe). Anyway, I was able to tone it down significantly with the resonator while achieving a nice, deep rumble.
Ok, so you have a straight pipe from the turbo rght?... but what about the catalityc converter? how do you delet that and dont mess with the computer readings? My friend with the srt4 is traying to sale a down pipe that says that is the same for my car, and has like a electronic throtle body that you can open with a switch to hear the turbo spooling and if you get bored yoy just close the thing....But I saw it and its to loong and the catalitic converter from my pt its right next to the turbo down pipe, what do I need to do? to cut the cat and move it a liitle back?... I mean Im not planing to buy it right away but seems original and a good price, he whants 100 bucks for it and saw one at a show for 300... any diagram? or pics that can show how the thing is done? so I dont spnd like 100 for the thingy and like 500 forthe instalation and mess up with my car

BTW Thank you so much for the wire information

Daniel
Old 09 Mar 2011, 05:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hmm, if you don't understand what I'm about to say...I'll PM you my number to give you a better understanding.

The SRT-4 downpipe and PT GT downpipe is pretty much the same. The only difference is, the very end of the downpipe (that connects to the pipe that leads out to the rear) is about 3" shorter on the SRT-4 than the PT GT. This is true of the STOCK downpipe as well as aftermarket offerings.

Talking about CAT's (catalytic converter), the stock downpipe has the CAT ON the downpipe. It's inline with the downpipe.

The aftermarket downpipe I have is 3" in diameter, and CAT-less....and for an SRT-4. I wouldn't recommend this if your state is high on emissions/inspections and you're required to run a CAT since running without one is illegal. There are high-flow type CATs so if you insist on not dealing with installing/uninstalling your exhaust for inspections/smog I'd opt for one of those.

Now, an aftermarket downpipe can be had for on the CHEAP! You're talking $80 shipped, and NEW on ebay. Only thing you've got to watch out for is the welds. If they're good to go, then you're set...no need to go with an expensive downpipe. If you go with a cat-less downpipe, and you are running a Stage 0 (stock PCM), YOU WILL throw a P0420 engine code. This is because your car has 2xo2 sensors. The first one being your upstream sensor that's located on your o2 housing. Your PCM monitors this and adjusts air/fuel ratios accordingly when you're driving on anything except WOT (wide open throttle). Your secondary o2 sensor is your downstream sensor which, on the stock downpipe, is located on your CAT. This monitors the a/f ratios and compares them to that of your upstream sensor. If you go CAT-less, your readings from the 2 sensors will pretty much be the same so you'll throw an engine code. A simple defouler placed in the bung with the o2 sensor screwed into the defouler will eliminate this problem.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 05:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

What else am I forgetting. Oh, if you do happen to get a Stage 1 PCM or have one installed already your second (downstream) sensor is pretty much eliminated from the loop.

Last but not least, that 'throttle body' is actually a 'cut-out'. With either the flip of a switch (if it's electronic) or the unbolting of a plate, you're pretty much running as short of an exhaust as possible. That's because your exhaust gasses will take the easiest, shortest route possible and exit immediately out of your cut-out thus making your car extremely loud (exhaust gasses won't go passed or into the downpipe much less the rear of the car).

The benefit of this? Turbo's LOVE 0 restrictions in the exhaust section. This will really help your turbo spool as quickly as possible with little to no lag (depending on the rest of your setup). The kicker? It's loud as hell, and in some places illegal.