Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Diablo race tuner..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2011, 01:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Diablo race tuner..

Thinking about purchasing one, and so is a buddy. From what I cam tell it's only good for one download? No way to use it on two cars per purchase?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10 Mar 2011, 02:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Diablo race tuner..

Only one car can use it at a time. You can load several tunes into the DSP and change the tune on your car as you like. Not a one time thing. To use the DSP on another like car you have to download the stock tune into the car and then the DSP is released to be used on another like model.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 03:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

^ What he said.

When a DSP is used on a car, it becomes 'married' to it. What happens is, the DSP takes the stock tune from your PCM and writes a new tune to it. The stock tune remains on your DSP as well as VIN/etc. tying it to that specific car.

I wouldn't go messing with a DSP at all until you have your supporting mods. If anything, I recommend a boost/vac gauge and wideband (not to be mistaken for a cheap narrowband) gauges. You don't want to blow up your engine now do you?
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, yes and no. Good thing about the DSP is if you're not racing but want to run a tune, and have a laptop, you can go run a couple of pulls and log them, dump them to the pc and read them there. You can monitor everything you would need to with gauges and set up your own custom tune. You have to be careful in certain areas, like A/F mixture, so that you don't get detonation and grenade your engine. That's the main reason for having the "external" gauges.

When you buy it, you get one custom tune. I would suggest holding off until you've made whatever other performance mods you're going to make. This is because you need to list each mod when you apply for the free custom tune.

Also, if you have an automatic tranny, you don't gain anything, as far as shift gates, timing of the shift, etc., with a DSP. They still haven't written that into the app. They keep saying they are going to but I wouldn't hold my breath...

I love my DSP, I do small things like take the 93 tune and then customize it. Turn up the output voltage, for instance, of the alternator to get clearer lights, also my stereo performs better. You can make all kinds of adjustments with the DSP. Personally, I wouldn't go too far in the direction of power tuning without getting on a dyno, as you're just asking for trouble otherwise.