PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Diferense between Automatic Transmissions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Exclamation Diferense between Automatic Transmissions?

Hi guys, so I visit a friend and he works at a transmission rebuild shop, he is great, once he rebuild and re forced my Buick Regal one and was great... But when I was chatting with him I noticed 3 PT transmission on the floor and ask him whats wrong with them? he told me that he was going to rebuild them, because of the little clutches that automatic use, and told me that they are easy to fix (for him) and that if I had a problem he charged me $400 bucks for all... then I told him... but mine is from a Turbo GT with Autostick, and he told me that it was the same, and I was like... are you sure? they don't use like re forced internal parts? and he say no... its the same, the auto stick module is this one and he pointed to me a black box in the side of the transmission laying in the floor, and then he pointed to the one he was rebuilding and told me that that one didn't have it because it came from a PT cruiser N/A, and the other one was from a STRATUS R/T ( Made in Mexico) 2.4Lturbo... he told me that it was the same, so I was confused, because if its the same I was like... then I'm going to have problems! and he told me that I don't need to worry, that they are good transmissions, and where made for the power...and that I don't need to worry, just don't floor it too much!... then he told me its not like you have a 1.8T Jetta or Passat, those things cant handle the turbo if its an automatic tiptronic, those things blow!, and the are like 170HP... your transmission its good, and I commented about the forum and told me.. make a post there and see what other people think about the transmission with autostick and ask the to tell you what care you need to take with it and you'll see that this things where made to last, then I was like and then why do you have 3 or 4 of them here... he answered.. man! this one its from a PT N/A and the lady never checked for oil levels, all the internals are in good shape but the entire clutch line its burn out, the autostick its from a taxi Stratus R/T and the guy did like 40 mph in first gear for about half an hour, he burn the first gear only, the other one autositck too its from another stratus N/A, that just need to be replaced the autostick module and it will cost $100 bucks for all the work done, and the last one you see there in the table its a mod I'm doing for a guy with a Eclipce GSX, its the same as the GS-T but automatic, and the guy whats the autostick in it, and from factory doesn't have one, so I'm adapting one, its more like a show car he told me...

So what do you think guys? is he so mind screw that he puts better parts to stop clients to reclaim for their money and he re force every transmission? or is he right? the transmission are good from the factory and only change a few specs?...and what about the "how to take care"? My 03GTPT yesterday turned 26kmiles and feels like new so what do I need to be aware?

I write all my experience with my buddy so you can picture the situation and how it was my day, and another thing, The economy here in Mexico (specially in Tijuana and all the border cities with USA ) its so bad that he only charges $400 us dlls for all the proses and I've made one transmission with him and man that guy its good!... so What you think?

Daniel

Sorry If I posted in the wrong Area, I try to move it to another but fail... so if CREWZIN whats to move the post to another part section ... its good, and Im sorry , I didnt find where to put it buy I was going to put it on the turbo general forum because of my GTPT but I screw it up... so sorry

Last edited by niel; 07 Apr 2011 at 12:31 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 12:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Diferense between Automatic Transmissions?

Remember when you first joined the forum when you mentioned getting a PT Cruiser GT? Well you'll also remember that I said DO NOT BOOST IN 4th! If you do, your transmission will go to your friend for a rebuild shortly after.

The 41TE isn't built for anymore additional power than the PT GT puts out stock. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Again, DO NOT BOOST IN 4th.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 01:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Diferense between Automatic Transmissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Remember when you first joined the forum when you mentioned getting a PT Cruiser GT? Well you'll also remember that I said DO NOT BOOST IN 4th! If you do, your transmission will go to your friend for a rebuild shortly after.

The 41TE isn't built for anymore additional power than the PT GT puts out stock. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Again, DO NOT BOOST IN 4th.
Yes I remember... Nope... I don't even floor it in first gear by Boost in 4th you mean I don't what to go WOT in forth right?... The other day I was in 805 freeway in San Diego and was doing 65 mph... but need to pas a car so I don't lose an exit and I accelerated the pt and hear the spooling and was like a rocket from 65 to 75 like in 2 seconds and I exit just in time.... is that a bad thing to do?

Thank you so much Kawizx9r, you are all ways one of the first to help so I really appreciate that

Daniel
Old 07 Apr 2011, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Daniel, get you a Getrag G288 5-speed manual tranny! That's the way to go! My clutch held up to 321 hp, 325 lb ft of torque, then let loose and started getting dyno loops whenever I tried to push it harder.

The tranny itself is rock solid, the clutch won't hold the horsepower and torque I'm putting out. But, for anything under 225 hp, it's a great tranny and clutch combo!
Old 07 Apr 2011, 02:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Diferense between Automatic Transmissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Daniel, get you a Getrag G288 5-speed manual tranny! That's the way to go! My clutch held up to 321 hp, 325 lb ft of torque, then let loose and started getting dyno loops whenever I tried to push it harder.

The tranny itself is rock solid, the clutch won't hold the horsepower and torque I'm putting out. But, for anything under 225 hp, it's a great tranny and clutch combo!
Thanks... But, My pt its stock, only a few mods like the hard pipes, and K&n filter, and I ordered the needswings down pipe with the cutout... and that will be all I think, its more like a fuel saver mode list than a performance, Here I really cant race, maybe when the cruiser (Margot) needs a major repair I'll go for performance mods, I'm not pushing it to hard I want to last long... It is a long time dream came true

Thank you so much.. Daniel

BTW...Any fuel saving mods? that Im missing? I went for the tune up and feel a real difference, so far I got the Autolite iridium plugs gaped at .045, Taylor 8.2 wires, Mobil1 5w30 synthetic oil and the mobil1 oil filter, K&N drop in filter, Stock air box modded,( resonator removed, and snorkel cut it to 50%) TTAB hard pipe, and Intercooler to turbo hard pipe, I think that the turbo to Intercooler Stock pipe its good from fabric, and the Mopar Bov just for the fun of it ... Just waiting for my down pipe, and that will be all... but if I'm missing something extra for fuel saving please let me know

Last edited by niel; 07 Apr 2011 at 02:13 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

there are now 2 different PT transmissions. THe 41te and 40TE, The 41TE has 4 clutch packs and there is a 40TE on non-turbo PTs after 2004 with only 2 clutch packs.
All PTs up to 2003 were 41TE.
A flush of all fluid every 50,000 miles with ATF + 4 and not boosting in 4th (downshift to 3rd) will prolong the auto tranny life.
My daughter did burn a transmission on a GT rocking it from drive to reverse in ice...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2011, 03:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
there are now 2 different PT transmissions. THe 41te and 40TE, The 41TE has 4 clutch packs and there is a 40TE on non-turbo PTs after 2004 with only 2 clutch packs.
All PTs up to 2003 were 41TE.
A flush of all fluid every 50,000 miles with ATF + 4 and not boosting in 4th (downshift to 3rd) will prolong the auto tranny life.
My daughter did burn a transmission on a GT rocking it from drive to reverse in ice...
So what I did was wrong?... The tranny downshifted by it self...Is that bad? sorry for all the question about this but my English is kinda dumb
Old 07 Apr 2011, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you should use autostick, downshift to third, THEN punch it.
4th gear is the weakest.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 04:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
you should use autostick, downshift to third, THEN punch it.
4th gear is the weakest.
Oh I get it now!... thank you so much... One last question... If I'm doing 65 mph and need to down shift... Do I do it at that speed or its to much? and need to brake a little?, I really don't know how to drive the autostick, I don't even know how to drive manual hehe, I all ways drove automatics because I'm 6.6' and have a disc fracture in my spinal column

Daniel
Old 07 Apr 2011, 06:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I don't slow down. I keep my foot at the same speed until it kicks down and then hit the gas and GO.

If you're RPM are way too high I don't think it'll let you downshift.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*