Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacement Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2011, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Replacement Turbo

So my 2005 turbo gave up the ghost. No leak in the hoses, no turbo whine, no power. Very depressing.

My question is......where is the best place to get a replacement turbo, and how hard is it to replace? A mechanic that I go to for things way out of my league wanted about $3,000 for the parts (new, not refurb) and labor. Seemed way high to me.

I am in the Tampa, FL area.

Thanks
Old 23 Apr 2011, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacement Turbo

See Chris' post for Turbos Unleashed. Seems to have a good rep, and sounds very helpful, he would be whom I would go to for my replacement, and one day will be doing that in the not too far future.

Also you can check out his performance page:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html
Old 23 Apr 2011, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Only problem there is that he is in Arizona, and I am a few thousand miles away in Florida. But thanks
Old 23 Apr 2011, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiler3 View Post
Only problem there is that he is in Arizona, and I am a few thousand miles away in Florida. But thanks
UPS Dude!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Apr 2011, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

He does ship. USPS, UPS, FEDEX....
Old 23 Apr 2011, 04:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Turbo's Unleashed seems to have a good reputation and there are alot of happy customers right here on the forum.

If you're willing, you can try and change it out yourself. There are plenty of used TD04LR's with no shaft play for sale on the SRTForums for cheap since alot of those guys quickly upgrade from their stock turbo.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
So my 2005 turbo gave up the ghost. No leak in the hoses, no turbo whine, no power. Very depressing.

My question is......where is the best place to get a replacement turbo, and how hard is it to replace? A mechanic that I go to for things way out of my league wanted about $3,000 for the parts (new, not refurb) and labor. Seemed way high to me.

I am in the Tampa, FL area.

Thanks
My sons wife just gave up the turbo, so I ordered from Chris in AZ. be here tomorrow late. I have it on my lift . It is like a yoyo up and down under over. So let me tell you it takes about 6 hours if you have a lift to get it off. Then to put it back on should be a little less. So shop time hours at $70 an hour. $700 dollars labor plus tubo would be around $3000. Fair price. If you do not have metric tools, breaker bars, extensions, torque wrench, I see why they charge so much. Very little room to work. You have to take the intake off. Overflow, so much has to come off just to get to it. And need to check the oil line for flow. I told my son that he needs to start putting in synthetic oil for now on. To much heat is produced by turbos for just regular oil. Breaks down and plugs up the oil line. I am in IN. and the car came from Ohio to be worked on. If you have any questions Chris will answer them for you.

Last edited by interrex; 25 Apr 2011 at 03:23 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 08:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Quote:

Shipping within the United states is via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box. Usually arrives anywhere in the continental US within 2-3 days at a cost of $15-$20. We have already worked with several repair facilities in Florida and can direct you to one in your area. We have found it is better to bring your vehicle to a company that has completed a PT Cruiser turbo swap in the past then to allow someone to learn on your vehicle. These vehicles are unique and require a technician who has experience with them. It's best to contact us directly at 602-76-BOOST or 602-762-6678 from 9AM to 7PM Mountain Standard time. Currently we are on California time. We can also be reached at sales@turbosunleashed.com

We have been selling New and Rebuilt Chrysler Turbochargers for about 15 years now and we ship all over the world. We are currently in the process of opening a second location in Europe for those who are challenged on the other side of the big pond. More news to come.

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678

Last edited by Chris_TurbosUnleashed; 25 Apr 2011 at 08:54 pm.