Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2011, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad Turbo

I have a 2003 Dream Cruiser recently had a rebuild head, head gasket, water pump and timing belt put in. When the mechanic cleaned my turbo, he said I had a broke impeller wheel. Does anyone know if I can just replace this part or do I need to have my turbo rebuilt? I have been looking for someone in the NKY/Greater Cincinnati area and can't seem to find anyone. I really don't have the money for a new turbo. Can anyone help me?
Old 03 May 2011, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad Turbo

Turbos can be rebuilt - suggest you try at PTCrew -
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 May 2011, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyo100 View Post
I have a 2003 Dream Cruiser recently had a rebuild head, head gasket, water pump and timing belt put in. When the mechanic cleaned my turbo, he said I had a broke impeller wheel. Does anyone know if I can just replace this part or do I need to have my turbo rebuilt? I have been looking for someone in the NKY/Greater Cincinnati area and can't seem to find anyone. I really don't have the money for a new turbo. Can anyone help me?
I just did one for my son, my cost was $900. You are better off getting one rebuilt because you have to tear it down to get into it anyways. He lives in Hamilton, and I live 135 miles north west. So he drove it to me to work on. The Chrysler garage wanted $3000 to fix his. He told me there was somebody in the area that rebuilds them. If the impeller is broke, more than likely the bearings are next to go. He only had 58000 miles on his and it was a 2005 model.
Old 05 May 2011, 12:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Amy,

Yes, turbos can be rebuilt providing there is no compressor wheel or turbine wheel damage.

Most turbo failures are attributed to a lack of lubrication due to a restricted oil feed line. Pressurized oil is what separates the turbine shaft from the full floating bearings and bearing housing. Without oil pressure you will have metal to metal contact. The soft brass bearings quickly wear and the excess play will allow the wheels to contact the housings. At this point the turbo becomes non-rebuildable.

We can help you with a rebuild or a replacement. I believe we spoke on the phone but we never heard back from you.

Contact us directly so we can provide you with additional info on rebuilds or replacement options.

Chris-TU
602-762-6678
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 05 May 2011, 11:52 am
Senior Cruiser

SRTForums.com, can be had for around $150 or less.

Old 10 May 2011, 12:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

turbos can be rebuilt providing there is no compressor wheel or turbine wheel damage.
Old 27 May 2011, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

i have a low mileage used turbo for 225.00 shipped.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

i am in need of a good turbo.....do you still have it for sale?