Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Fan Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2011, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Fan Replacement

I recently acquired a 2003 Pt Cruiser GT Turbo. When receiving the vehicle I was certain there would be a good amount repairs required when purchased from a family member.
The radiator fan on runs high due to corrosion, which has severed one of the wires where they meet the plug in. The fan no longer functions on low and medium speeds. My mechanic and I are unable to find a replacement motor from an alternate manufacturer. We tried three fans and the connector was the issue. The local Chrysler dealership is asking more then I can pay for one fan.

- Can anyone recommend a Radiator Fan that would suite my needs?
- What would the dealers be charging for this complete fan on average and were else would I be able to purchase the Chrysler part?

Also, we have been trying to determine why the car wants to overheat at highway speed reaching just under the red after 25 minutes driving. In the city the engine temp climbs between the middle marker, the next line and then will reach the next line 20 minutes later. The air-conditioning will overheat the car. This just started last week and we checked coolant (good) and no leaks. My mechanic suggests we change the fan and see if this improves the performance and then take it from there. Neither of us are convinced this is the cause.
Insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to take my PT on a road trip with the family once these and other issues are resolved.
Thank you very much for your time….
Old 21 Jun 2011, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Fan Replacement

Welcome, you can get a fan motor on e bay rather than replacing the fan & motor. Once that is done your overheating SHOULD go away. One of your fan speeds are not working and it affects your A/C!!!

Reposted from Crewzin:
OK, so you replaced the fan twice, are you checking to see if it's working? Get the car cold, start the engine and throw on the A/C. Does the fan come on? If so, the low speed is working. Now let it sit at idle with the A/C on and watch the temperature guage and when it hits about mid way or a little higher, you should here the high speed part of the fan come on. it's very loud and you can't miss it. It's louder than the engine so you can't miss it. If both speeds are working, you have to start eliminating other things. The thermostat, clogged or partially clogged radiator, coolant temperature sensor and finally the computer.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 21 Jun 2011 at 08:54 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Hooligan

Thank you for the welcome and feedback.

My fan is running high (louder then the engine). From what my mechanic can tell, the complete rad fan shroud needs to be replaced due to corrosion. The corrosion is where the wires from the fan meet the plug / connector. My mechanic is under the impression the corrosion has severed the single to the fan regulating the speed. The corrosion could have came from the connector, possibly a short. We tried a few non-Mopar fans that looked the parts dealer had in stock with similar connectors, non fit.

- Do you know of any non-Mopar radiator fans that will work with this vehicle?
- The dealer wants $1100.00 before taxes and with other repairs needed I would like to avoid putting out that on this part. Especially when the price seems high for the part, but I may just be ignorant to the going price in Toronto.

We have been checking scrap yards for the connector (or the complete fan) to rewire in replace of the one that seems fried. The fans motor seems to be function properly the only thing that looks out of place is the corrosion.

I am not sure that the AC overheating the car is related to the fan performance. The AC overheating the vehicle has been going on before I received the vehicle. The engine temp climbing during city driving and on the highway has only been the last week, but the rad fan has been running High from when I got the car. We just realised it two weeks ago.

Thank you
Old 22 Jun 2011, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, too many questions to go through everything. First, I'm not a mechanic. I pass on information that I've had to deal with personally or have picked up on the forums or the Internet. The turbo fans don't run on low medium and high. It's variable speed maintained by the computer from inputs from sensors unlike the high or low on the non-turbo motors.

Overheating while moving is caused by two things (that I know of). A partially blocked cooling system (usually the radiator) or a cracked head or head gasket. Usually, the amount of coolant running around in town is good but when heat builds up (like with high speed or running the A/C, more coolant is needed and a blockage or crack will make it overheat.

Save money by hard wiring the fan wires on both sides of the connection thereby doing away with that connection. The only problem is when you need to remove the fan at a later date.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin

Thank you very much for the advice.

Golden idea removing the connector and hardwiring the fan. I don't know why I was told the connector had some important function in relaying the desired speed to the fan. Also, that the fan has three speeds.

I imagine my problem with overheating is the flow through the radiator. There are no cracks that can be seen and no leaks. I think this will be the next point of investigation.

As you may have guessed I am not the most advanced with vehicle mechanics, but looking forward to learning more. With little family starting out I very much appreciate the advice given on this forum.

This car likely never received any software updates, and I believe there were a few. I am experiencing a few issues that make me think there is a Ghost in the Machine. The door locks will lock and unlock when breaking slowly and lock when the car is in park running and shut off.

Any experience with this issue?

Thanks again!
Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We've seen ghost issues like that before and some turned out to be the battery or the connections to the battery. Take a look at both ends of the negative and positive cables to make sure they are clean and tight. Corrosion has a tendency to get between the battery posts and the cables and cause bad connections at the battery and the starter. If you have an Autozone, Discount Auto, Pep Boys or other decent auto store, they will check your battery and charging system for FREE to make sure they are up to snuff.

Any dealer can check your VIN and tell you if your car has had all the software updates that you need plus check to see if all the recalls were done.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Radiator Fan Replacement

Thanks CREWZIN !
Old 29 Jun 2011, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Crewzin

I did the radiator flush and it seemed to improve the overheating issue I was experiencing with regular driving. Unfortunately with the AC on the temp gauge went past the middle marker after 20 minutes of driving. I turned of the AC, drove a bit longer and the temp gauge evened out. When I stopped for some food and started driving the service engine light came on. Now their seems to be a slight hissing sound coming from around the left side radiator (when facing the engine).

I must say that I am loosing faith in my mechanic and in the need of a mechanic who is familiar with this car in the greater Toronto area (Scarborough), if anyone reading has some suggestions.

Thank you again Hooligan and Crewzin, I would be lost without the advice I have been getting.

PS: I did the check for the fan Hooligan reposted and the fan was functioning properly even with the corrosion. Another reason I have lost faith with my mechanic, he didn't even know the fan was variable speed.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Left side of the radiator could be the radiator cap, or a small hole in the radiator hose where it goes into the area near the thermostat. You have to find it. Shouldn't be doing any hissing.

When you flused the radiator, did a lot of gunk come out? if it did, could mean there's plenty more INSIDE the radiator and it's stopping the free flow of coolant which would cause the overheating when driving. At idle or slow driving, the low flow of coolant plus the fan is OK but when driving, more coolant has to flow around freely and if there's any blockage, that will cause it to go hot.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The variable speed fan sucks. I am a mechanic and owned my pt turbo sisnce day one and all ofa sudden the fan quits working. Normal fan motor, $75.00 they want over $900.00. Went on line and ordered a fan assembly for a gt tubo for $105, wrong plug so probalby wrong motor. Your hissing is a defienetely leak. your is a closed system as all new cars are. fill your overflow tank half full, have the entire cooling system pressurized and find that leak. You need to make sure it is full of coolant and even open that little purge valve by the filer neck to get the air out. the overflow tank should take care of the rest. Now if it persist and looses fluid always park your car on dry spot, when you return look for a wet antifreeze spot. If it continues could be a slight head gasket leak