PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power loss in '06 GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2011, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power loss in '06 GT

Hello all...

I have been reading this forum, and have gotten some great advise, but now I'm running into a small issue... I too am having power loss issues and don't believe the Turbo is working... I don't hear the "whine"...

I replaced the camshaft positioning sensor last week because I the check engine light come on... It gave me error messages for the CPS, MAP sensor, and throttle position indicator light... So I started with the CPS first... However after a couple of starts, the check engine light goes off and only comes back on if I'm pushing the car too hard...

As I stated earlier, there's no power and I don't hear the "whine" so I don't believe the turbo is working... I did notice a sensor on the top of the turbo manifold and thought that might be it, but I've also been reading that the turbo is both oil and water cooled... Could that be the issue too???

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for looking...
Old 27 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Power loss in '06 GT

The sensor on your intake manifold is your MAP sensor. Your PCM utilizes this to read pressure and yes it can directly affect how much boost you push/create when pushing the gas some.

One of the biggest and main reasons for a turbo-vehicle to have any loss of power is mainly due to a boost leak.

Do a boost leak test and check to make sure any and all vacuum lines are secure.

As for your engine light, what codes are you popping up? I'd like to know especially what code comes up when you push your car.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have those written down at home, so I will get those later today... As for the boost leak test, how do I go about doing that???
Old 27 Jun 2011, 02:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joven76 View Post
I have those written down at home, so I will get those later today... As for the boost leak test, how do I go about doing that???
Buy or make a boost leak tester.

Basically a coupler that will go over your turbo in place of your intake tube. On the other end, you have a valve stem (and it's sealed between coupler/stem).

Connect an air compressor, preferably one with an in-line filter to keep moisture out and regulator, and pressurize the system with 18-20psi. Make sure the key is in the ON position and that the hose you took off your intake tube/box is capped. You'll want to listen for air leaks as well as look for them by dabbing water+dish soap all over the vacuum lines with a sponge or spraying it lightly with a spray bottle.

Connections come loose, hoses become brittle and brake or boots came to be disconnected, clamp on your hot pipe, up pipe/etc. are all susceptible to leaking air causing a loss of power.

PS I've got a boost leak tester you can have for $15+s/h. Just need to find it in my closet of goodies.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 06:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't start it up with the boost leak checker still on. Saw an idiot over on srt forums do it. Not pretty.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Error codes are as follows:

P0700 - Transmission control system - Indicator Lamp
P0344 - CPS
P2074 - MAP Throttle Sensor
Old 27 Jun 2011, 09:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well the CPS is easy, camshaft sensor's give out after awhile. Go with OEM-only replacements.

As for the MAP throttle sensor, the only MAP-related thing I know of is the MAP sensor that's held by 2xtorx screws on your upper intake manifold.

I'm sure that either a search will yield better results or someone will chime in on these error codes.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

But should I check the Boost leak first, or replace the MAP sensor... I've already changed the CPS...
Old 27 Jun 2011, 09:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

MAP sensor should be cheap so replace it if you want but I can't be sure that the MAP sensor is what's giving you the error code.

As for the boost leak test, I only suggested it because it's one of the main reasons for power-loss in turbo-charged vehicles.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, the MAP sensor isn't so cheap... Because it sits on top of the manifold, it's $103 at my local Car Quest... The other part stores in this area don't even carry it...

I'll have to figure out a way to test the boost leak... I may just take it to a local shop...