Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hot Shutdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2011, 04:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Hot Shutdown

Ive been reading a lot of different things... How does everyone feel about letting the turbo cool down before shutting down? I really would assume that if you arent driving around like a crazy person, then it shouldnt get that hot. But some people insist on letting oil run thru before shutting down
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hot Shutdown

If you have synthetic oil, and don't whomp on it and the immediately shut down, you should be fine.
I have close to 100,000 miles on mine, don't do anything unusual, and use no oil and all is fine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
If you have synthetic oil, and don't whomp on it and the immediately shut down, you should be fine.
I have close to 100,000 miles on mine, don't do anything unusual, and use no oil and all is fine.
If you are using synth a hot shutdown isn't a problem. It won't coke like dino oil does. On the other hand you don't want to rev the engine and then shut it down immediately. The turbo will continue to spin at high RPM and the bearings could experience oil starvation as the oil pressure drops after shutdown. This obviously is bad for the bearings. Just stay out of boost in your driveway.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 25 Jul 2011, 01:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Let me also say that you should make sure the synth you are using is from a full synthetic base. Most are but read the label. It will say if it is 100% from full synthetic base oils. Even the Walmart store brand is these days.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 25 Jul 2011, 01:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

I usually use Valvoline Full Synth. Sound good?
Old 26 Jul 2011, 08:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
If you are using synth a hot shutdown isn't a problem. It won't coke like dino oil does. On the other hand you don't want to rev the engine and then shut it down immediately. The turbo will continue to spin at high RPM and the bearings could experience oil starvation as the oil pressure drops after shutdown. This obviously is bad for the bearings. Just stay out of boost in your driveway.
This is not completely true about Hot Shutdowns. As much as we would appreciate the increased turbo repair business in the future we just want to clear the air once again on Hot Shutdowns. Over the years we have torn down enough turbos that have failed due to coking even though they were using full synthetic oil.

Besides lubricating another purpose of the oil is to capture foreign debris/objects in the engine then transport them to the filter where they can be removed. Many times liquids including coolant, fuel, grease etc. will be captured but pass through the filter. You are correct in saying that Full synthetic oil itself will resist coke up, but, it's the impurities in the synthetic oil that is the problem. If the owner tends to let his oil/filter changes slip beyond normal maintenance recommendations there will be a higher amount of those impurities in the oil. Those impurities may pass through other low heat areas of the engine just fine, but, when they are exposed to the extreme temperatures of the turbocharger they will coke and cause problems. It's just better to teach the owners of these vehicles to avoid hot shutdowns at any time to prevent them forming a bad habit.

I know you and I have gone back and forth on this topic many times CC but I don't know how to explain it to you any better then I just did. Hope that makes sense to you and we can move forward by encouraging owners to avoid Hot Shutdowns at ALL times.

Thanks,

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678

Last edited by Chris_TurbosUnleashed; 26 Jul 2011 at 08:38 pm.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 01:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I just never do a hot shut down. Easy enough.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 07:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
I just never do a hot shut down. Easy enough.
Easy enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TurbosUnleashed View Post
This is not completely true about Hot Shutdowns. As much as we would appreciate the increased turbo repair business in the future we just want to clear the air once again on Hot Shutdowns. Over the years we have torn down enough turbos that have failed due to coking even though they were using full synthetic oil.

Besides lubricating another purpose of the oil is to capture foreign debris/objects in the engine then transport them to the filter where they can be removed. Many times liquids including coolant, fuel, grease etc. will be captured but pass through the filter. You are correct in saying that Full synthetic oil itself will resist coke up, but, it's the impurities in the synthetic oil that is the problem. If the owner tends to let his oil/filter changes slip beyond normal maintenance recommendations there will be a higher amount of those impurities in the oil. Those impurities may pass through other low heat areas of the engine just fine, but, when they are exposed to the extreme temperatures of the turbocharger they will coke and cause problems. It's just better to teach the owners of these vehicles to avoid hot shutdowns at any time to prevent them forming a bad habit.

I know you and I have gone back and forth on this topic many times CC but I don't know how to explain it to you any better then I just did. Hope that makes sense to you and we can move forward by encouraging owners to avoid Hot Shutdowns at ALL times.

Thanks,

Chris-TU
Thanks a bunch for the facts.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 01:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Good info here.

Simply put if you are driving around doing pretty much anything the 5 minutes or so you spend waiting at the stop light or finding a parking space is plenty of time for the turbo to cool down. As long as you don't floorboard it through the lot and rip the e-brake to slide into a space you'll be just fine. Most in-city driving doing 30-45mph you aren't going to be using the turbo anyways... so it's not going to be super hot.

If you do happen to use a lot of boost right before you get to your destination simply let the vehicle idle for 3-5 minutes before shutting down.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 03:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
Good info here.

Simply put if you are driving around doing pretty much anything the 5 minutes or so you spend waiting at the stop light or finding a parking space is plenty of time for the turbo to cool down. As long as you don't floorboard it through the lot and rip the e-brake to slide into a space you'll be just fine. Most in-city driving doing 30-45mph you aren't going to be using the turbo anyways... so it's not going to be super hot.

If you do happen to use a lot of boost right before you get to your destination simply let the vehicle idle for 3-5 minutes before shutting down.
Couldn't be more crystal clear than that.