Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
spark plugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2004, 03:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default spark plugs

this is an add i found for plugs other than sh...ty champs.

The advantages of iridium spark plugs are well documented. But until now, iridium spark plugs were never available for the unique head and OE wire construction of PT Cruiser 2.4 liter turbo and non-turbo engines. Now Sparkplugs.com has designed a socket and wire set specifically for the PT Cruiser, so you too can take advantage of the increased performance available from iridium spark plugs.

Except for the overall height, the Denso Iridium part number ITV16 is similar to both the Champion RE14MCC-5 and its platinum equivalent, the RE14PLP5. However, there are two obstacles to using non-factory plugs in the Chrysler PT Cruiser. First of all, the overall height of the Champion plug is 7mm taller than a standard plug, which prevents other plugs, like the Denso iridium plug, from properly mating with the terminal connector on the stock spark plug wires.

In addition, the 5/8" hex head on the plug that allows for removal and replacement is 6mm higher on the Champion plug than on traditional plugs. Therefore, the hex head portion of the Denso ITV16 would disappear into the engine head as you were tightening the plug - before the plug was properly tightened, which could cause engine damage.

Sparkplugs.com has developed sparkplug wires with an extended-length connector, where the wires reach through the valve cover so they properly mate with the Denso ITV16 iridium spark plug for a tight connection. In addition, these custom Cruiser/SRT-4 wires have an optional 90-degree boot at the top of the valve cover dust cap on the #2 and #3 cylinders, which allows for a cleaner install under the intake manifold on these cylinders. Sparkplugs.com also offers a custom spark plug socket, which has been machined 2.5mm thinner than a standard socket to allow proper tightening and removal of a non-OE spark plug.

This solution will enable you to run a Denso iridium plug in your Chrysler PT Cruiser, and improve both performance and mileage at the same time. This is due to the ultra-thin iridium center electrode. Iridium is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum; it also has a higher melting point and conducts electricity better then platinum. Iridium's strength and hardness is the reason Denso can create a long lasting ultra-thin (0.4mm) center electrode (as compared to the Champion RE14MCC5 with a 2.0mm center electrode and the platinum RE14PLP5 with a 1.1mm center electrode). Denso's smaller diameter center electrode and tapered cut ground allows your existing stock ignition system to produce a stronger, brighter spark. This results in a more efficient burning of the air fuel mixture, resulting in increased performance and mileage.

The Iridium Wire and Plug sets available in three colors:

Blue
Green3
Red

[:I]

Old 06 Jan 2004, 01:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

You got a web address for Sparkplugs.com, cause yahoo does not seem to find them.
03 Steel Blue Pearl Turbo, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Magnaflow performance muffler, My Air Box mod., AMXpipe W/K&N filter, LED lighting,PT Tunning rear lowering springs & BGT Strut tower brace, Hankooks Ventus tires, Rage Motif 17 in. wheels. Tribal pinstrips by Palmer (who else), Color match paint by Etouchup.com, Plugs and wires by Sparkplugs.com, http://members.cardomain.com/rodrungtpt
Old 06 Jan 2004, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Soo....
To get a plug that does not fit to work with the PT, they have to make a special plug socket and special length plug wires that cannot be used with anything else.

Sounds like a cluster#### to me.

As a master tech, I 've been asked about these before.
Bob Stockum and I both agree that you should stick with the Champion copper plugs for the OEM turbo. They ignite the fuel completely. There isn't any unburnt fuel to ignite and find hidden horsepower.
Trying to fit a plug that's not designed for your engine is just asking for trouble.
Remember, the retailer cares about profit. He'll sell you anything he can. I actuallly repair these cars. I want you to use something that won't cause failures on the road.

And don't bring me the iridiums for replacement, cause I don't have a custom made socket to get them out. If you lose the socket, you're screwed.

Old 06 Jan 2004, 03:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok, I finally found those guys, and Jake is was great, my set is on the way.
03 Steel Blue Pearl Turbo, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Magnaflow performance muffler, My Air Box mod., AMXpipe W/K&N filter, LED lighting,PT Tunning rear lowering springs & BGT Strut tower brace, Hankooks Ventus tires, Rage Motif 17 in. wheels. Tribal pinstrips by Palmer (who else), Color match paint by Etouchup.com, Plugs and wires by Sparkplugs.com, http://members.cardomain.com/rodrungtpt
Old 06 Jan 2004, 03:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RODRUN

Ok, I finally found those guys, and Jake is was great, my set is on the way.
I would have listened to MX-5 on this one. [V]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Jan 2004, 03:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Ditto Mean Green!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 06 Jan 2004, 08:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

just found the info and posted it to get a sense of what others thought. I personnally like ngk myself
steve
Old 07 Jan 2004, 06:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok, ok chill, I'm not seeing a real problem here. So inlighten me.
Iridiums has less resistance to deliver spark, so that would be better than Champ., the change up comes in that the iridiums just happen to be shorter on the boot side of the plug. But the same length into the top of the head. So new wires (boot) had to be made to reach down to connect to the new plugs, and the company that is selling this kit is standing behind it 100% AND welcomes our input. Good or Bad.
I'm not seeing a hazard here. Show me the way fellas. I have four sets of Split fires in my shop that friends have put in other cars and trucks only to be taken out and left in my shop. I think you could return this kit if you dislike the end result.
Old 07 Jan 2004, 08:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

RodRun,
If it makes you feel any better I run Iridum in my 1200C Sportster. They ROCK there! But when I had my Jacobs Ice Pack on my Toyota, they recomended copper because of the increased spark. Ohhh, dont drop a Iridum with its little, itty, bitty electrode, and dont ask me how I know.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 07 Jan 2004, 10:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Rodrun, Heres why you need a special plug socket to install & remove the iridums. Don't know about you, but I don't wanna use them that bad. Just my two cents.....