PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine wants to die when I give it peddle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2011, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine wants to die when I give it peddle.

High peoples. Haven't been on for a while. Long enough to have to reregister. Any how my my 03 Turbo has been sitting a couple of weeks. Fired it up, warmed it while fiddling with GPS, putted down my road, pulled on highway and as I was giving it more that quarter throttle it would not take it at all. No sputtering just wants to die. But stays running just doesn't want the fuel. I thought fuel filter & limped up to my oil change guy as he does stuff like that too but he said filter is in tank & not likely.
Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'm now thinking to look at air filter & TPS 1st. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Ran fine when I parked it. About 130,000 miles on her. Code light came on but I'm at least thirty miles from AutoZone.
THANKS, ted
Old 02 Sep 2011, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine wants to die when I give it peddle.

Ted,

Check your own codes.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 02 Sep 2011, 02:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Check your own codes.

How to retrieve fault codes.
That's a really handy trick, thanks Crewzin!
White '03 GT. Mine since 2010. DIY work (read, budget): DIY cabin air filter, ball joint/control arm bushings/wheel bearing replacement, CV axle replacement, brakes, struts, K&N drop-in filter, oil pressure sensor replacement, Spark plug gasket replacement.

"But I don't want to go among mad people! Alice remarked. Oh you can't help that, said the cat, We're all mad here. You're mad, I'm mad. How do you know I'm mad? asked Alice. You have to be, or you wouldn't have come here, replied the cat."
Old 02 Sep 2011, 02:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks CREWZIN! I'll give it a try.
Old 04 Sep 2011, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well problem seems solved for now. Hadn't driven her myself for awhile.(that's all I'll say about that) found low radiator & 2 quarts low on oil. Have 6,000 miles on Mobil 1. The radiator has a small leak at top seam by passenger side. I guess I'm need'n a new radiator. Must have gone into some low fluid level limp mode. Does this sound possible? Any suggestion for a new radiator?
Pulled code P0440 & P0340
Old 04 Sep 2011, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your codes have nothing to do with you radiator or low in oil problem.

The P0340 fault code is a loss of camshaft position sensor signal. The camshaft position sensor is an easy fix and with that many miles, if you haven't chnaged it before, now's a good time.

P0440 code (GENERAL EVAP SYSTEM FAILURE) is typically one of two things... a huge evaporative system leak or a failed NVLD unit. Look for a loose or missing vacuum line or maybe a bad gas cap.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Sep 2011 at 03:20 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2011, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Roger that on the codes. I know for now it is accelerating as before it wouldn't. Is there a sensor that when the radiator is low on fluid (like bottle empty) there is a limp mode associated with it? Also could you mention roughly where that cam sensor is?
Thx, ted
Old 14 Sep 2011, 01:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK, It would not even start the next morning. I ordered a CPS from dealer. I got the CPS installed It started & ran fine. I took it to my shop. Got a radiator from Rock Auto. Boxed very poorly. Wife accepted it from FEDEX or I would have sent it back immediately. I'm going to install it soon and will see if it is ok. Something hit one of the vanes on it and it is questionable. I was shocked that there was not one piece of tape on the box and it was floating around in there. Best radiator they had. Made where? Do we make anything at all?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Figured I better share the latest. I had to send the radiator back to Rock Auto as the one they had will not install due to top hose neck is a single piece that sticks out too far to get the fan in after radiator is in place. Had to go to the dealer for an original Mopar with 2 piece top hose neck. After fan is installed then you bolt the neck on.
Rock Auto was excellent & went way beyond by taking radiator back as it was way past the return date.
Other odd part of the radiator job was using the required H.O.A.T. antifreeze.
By the way the radiator cost $340 at jobber price. Apparently no aftermarket radiators will work for the Turbo model.
Thanks to all that post on the forum for helping us in times of repair needs!!
Old 23 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

while i dont have a turbo i know i ahve read that some turbo guys have used a rockauto radiator before it would see odd that they would NOT ahve one there are a lot of PT Gt;s out there