Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about custom TTAB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2011, 03:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Question about custom TTAB

I ran the 15.19 in a stock+K&N dropin '03 Gt using the autostick.. Probably the 3rd or 4th run of the night. I live on the gulfcoast of Florida so its never really cool..but i remember it bein probably in the high 70's that night. After that she was pretty hot and I let her sit a while. The rest of her runs were high 15.2s. But taking out the back seat makes a big difference I think...weight distrubution is more over the front wheels..which helps with take off..plus I had the tire pressure down alot in the front to help with traction off the line. I mean she was stock as can be..but I definetly gave her the best shot at runnin a good time...and like a good lil Pt she performed admirably .
Old 15 Sep 2011, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapt View Post
I ran the 15.19 in a stock+K&N dropin '03 Gt using the autostick.. Probably the 3rd or 4th run of the night. I live on the gulfcoast of Florida so its never really cool..but i remember it bein probably in the high 70's that night. After that she was pretty hot and I let her sit a while. The rest of her runs were high 15.2s. But taking out the back seat makes a big difference I think...weight distrubution is more over the front wheels..which helps with take off..plus I had the tire pressure down alot in the front to help with traction off the line. I mean she was stock as can be..but I definetly gave her the best shot at runnin a good time...and like a good lil Pt she performed admirably .
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright so I went back to the junkyard...found a hard tube with the right bend to replace the softer rubber piece i had. The butt dyno tells me that there is a definite difference in how 2nd and 3rd gears pull now. Just seems to pull hard like it should. I am extremely pleased with my now $32 investment..Its 100 % smooth 3 inch hard tubing down to the turbo. FYI for anyone looking to do the same...all the pts were totaled and unusuable..so i searched pretty much every type of car there...the cars with the most suitable type of intake tubing seemed to be fords..or jeeps or older mercury and chryslers with big engine bays. None of the tubes i found were perfect fits..I just had to find something longer with the right angled section and cut it out. But seemed like every other car with a small engine bay..since they arent turbo just have little 6" sections of flex tubing running from intake box to throttle body.

On a seperate note...having taken my airbox out so many times now, ive broken off all 4 of the tabs on the back side that keep it secured, and somehow lost one of the two clamps on the frontside. With my do it yourself TTAB set up its not an exact exact fit..so the airbox top doesnt want to stay all the way snug to the bottom of the box. I mean its close theres not much gap..but it just doesnt have all the fasteners to keep it snug. So my question is does it really matter? I tried kinda duct taping the sides but tape really isnt gonna do the trick. I doubt its sucking much air from this slight gap but should i look to get a new airbox in the future? The box is snug on 3 sides...its the back left corner that just is about 1/8" apart do to the TTAB tube coming up at a slightly too high of an angle.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well I thing It needs to be tight, it could suck hot air and dust directly to the turbo and that would be something bad! but I have a solution that once I saw at a car in the place where I work ( a car wash) they have the same problem as you... so they went to Office Depot and buy 4 of this clamps and wala!!! all tight!

Make sure to buy the big ones

Last edited by niel; 15 Sep 2011 at 05:19 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome idea! Ive got tomorrow off work, so I will be found at office depot bright an early pickin up a few of those clamps! I appreciate the good advice guys.. Its funny Ive had this car for just over 2 years, and at first I couldnt do anything to it because it was under warranty, and then after that ran out I just left it be because I didnt wanna bother with tinkering. But now that ive done this little bit of work I feel this urge! The urge to mod! Muahhaha
I used to have a first generation mazda mx-6 2.2l turbo back in the day and I had it hooked up with pretty much all the basics..and I did all the work myself save welding the exhaust system on. It made me so proud to have the fastest cheapest thing around. I get that same feeling with this Pt because its such an enjoyable car all around and capable of good power for minimal effort. Its sad to see that Chrysler will be discontinuing this worthy car. Lol still gonna see 10 of them on the road every mile you drive for the next 10 years so
Old 17 Sep 2011, 01:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

I don't mean to hijack here, but where does everyone get the TTAB setup off ebay, and what is spectre? Do you require that vacuum line to be in a hard TTAB?
Old 17 Sep 2011, 02:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Question about custom TTAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo View Post
I don't mean to hijack here, but where does everyone get the TTAB setup off ebay, and what is spectre? Do you require that vacuum line to be in a hard TTAB?
Hey there... No problem this forum is for this.... Questions....

Ok, So you want a TTAB hard pipe? I'm sorry you need to be part of a special PT Cruisers from Hell Clan Haaaa hahah naa just kidding, The TTAB can be done with parts from eBay, so its not that hard... Some get the bended tube and silicon connectors, I like the one my friend XtrmDC2 made for his PT, and he is doing some for my and other forum users, you can buy it from him, I like it because its the straight design, you need that vacuum hose to be attached, I'm going with him because he is constructing all the tubes for a cheaper price, from eBay and saves you the pain to be waiting part by part to arrive and some times if you buy more than one you get better price, so he is like doing 3 or 4 right now... you can order him maybe... just ask him.... Others go for the AMX pipes or the needwings.com pipes, any way... the Spectre its just a Brand that makes the silicon adapters I think its a good one and can choose the color you want, Is the same brand that makes the cone filters that Autozone sales.

Here its a link to a video, watch his channel he got a list of the parts, in this video the TTAB is a bended 3"pipe

Cheerios

Old 17 Sep 2011, 02:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

Seems like I'll have to get ahold of xtrmDC2 and see if he can ship to Canada. On my old turbo I have a TTAB pipe, I got it used from ken at Custom Cruzers. I am familiar with AMX's work and Needswings, just seem a bit pricey to me.

I am thinking if I go with an AirRaid and TTAB pipe I should be okay for simple mods. I don't want a screaming Cruiser just a wee bit more throttle response. I have a Predator but I haven't flashed a tune as yet. Right now my car is 100% stock.

I thought about just doing the stock airbox mod and a drop in K&N but I may just opt for Airraid.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just pulled into my driveway and my landlord, who ive been talking to here and there while ive been working on replacing and upgrading my intake system, goes man it definetly sounds louder can you hear it? Then he goes...sounds rougher you need the oem part.. Haha i spent about 5 minutes explaining to him about sound vs hp...and how our turbo cars need the airflow to help the turbo and etc...Lol he had no idea but it made my day Hahaha.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 05:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo View Post
Seems like I'll have to get ahold of xtrmDC2 and see if he can ship to Canada. On my old turbo I have a TTAB pipe, I got it used from ken at Custom Cruzers. I am familiar with AMX's work and Needswings, just seem a bit pricey to me.

I am thinking if I go with an AirRaid and TTAB pipe I should be okay for simple mods. I don't want a screaming Cruiser just a wee bit more throttle response. I have a Predator but I haven't flashed a tune as yet. Right now my car is 100% stock.

I thought about just doing the stock airbox mod and a drop in K&N but I may just opt for Airraid.
I think you are better off with the air box mod and K&N drop in, and save that Airbox money for intercooler hard pipes ( already tried an Airaid on my car )....because parts for everything is about $220, including TTAB.... If you need them let me know, I'll help you out...Anyways, I've shipped a few things to Canada before.