Question about custom TTAB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2011, 07:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo
Default Re: Question about custom TTAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I think you are better off with the air box mod and K&N drop in, and save that Airbox money for intercooler hard pipes ( already tried an Airaid on my car )....because parts for everything is about $220, including TTAB.... If you need them let me know, I'll help you out...Anyways, I've shipped a few things to Canada before.
Thanks, good to know. Hope can you ship to Canada, as UPS really screws us on brokerage. Can you ship USPS?

So for the TTAB pipe and UIP and lower it is around $220?
Old 17 Sep 2011, 07:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo View Post
Thanks, good to know. Hope can you ship to Canada, as UPS really screws us on brokerage. Can you ship USPS?

So for the TTAB pipe and UIP and lower it is around $220?
Yep, that's about what I spent to make mine. Check my album .

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 17 Sep 2011 at 07:58 pm.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 11:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Yep, that's about what I spent to make mine. Check my album .
You have a PM
Old 21 Sep 2011, 02:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all, new guy here

Have a '04 turbo lite and have done the airbox mod w/ k&n drop in filter and have been pleased with the results. Next step is TTAB, been eyeing the AMX Needwings TTAB, but kinda spendy, so been searching for online shops and stumbled across this one, Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts, and looks like it has all the bits and pieces you would ever need for intakes and very attractive prices. Has anyone ever done business with them?

Put together a quick parts list of what is needed to make AMX type TTAB and comes to about $50. Granted you would need to account for clamps, shipping, etc...

TTAB parts list (from research):
2' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 45 Bend, 3.0" - $18.99
Silicone Reducer, 90 bend - 3.0" to 2.5" - $19.99
3.0" Silicone Straight Coupler - $6.99
or
3.0" Silicone Hump Hose - $12.99

Let me know what you think. Love the site.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have seen others on this site point to this transition elbow with the nipple for the vacuum line. 90 Degree Elbows : atpturbo.com

I believe you want the 2.5 to 3" transitional elbow with the nipple. code atp-sil-288. Its on the bottom right side of the page.
I have those cheaper silicone couplers you mentioned..mine our Spectre brand from the autoparts store. They seem ok in the week or two ive had them hooked up. But theyre just not that thick and I know over time they will succumb to some warping and wear from the heat of the turbo and the overall temperature in our tight lil engine bays. So I will be looking to get a more permanent set up in the near future like the one pictured on page 1 of this thread.

I can say for certainty that the first week you will think something is wrong with your car lol! Just from all the weird new turbo sounds you will hear..I swear I was convinced I had maybe swapped out the turbo for a jet engine!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I got everything from Ebay and they are about $60 shipped to me including clamps and they are the thick 4 ply elbows. oh and I use a grommet from Lowes for the vacuum line.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, looking forward to the power improvement along with more sound out of the turbo.

So whats with the grommet for the vac line or the elbow with the nipple? I am guessing there is a factory sensor/line that needs to be connected? I took a quick look/feel and didnt see any on mine.

XtrmDC2 - I noticed you went for a more factory layout with the straight pipe and angled connector to airbox. Seems to me like it would fit better than the AMX Needwings with the 45 bend in the middle pipe. Question is, did you still go with a 45 degree connector at the airbox, or something different?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yes, I used a 3 inch 45 degrees elbow because I had a hard time fitting a straight 3" coupler and 45 degrees aluminum pipe. IMO it would need a 75 degrees pipe to fit better, but with the 45 elbow looks more clean.
The grommet is for the vac line that's at the elbow next to the turbo inlet.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks XtrmDC2, by a quick look your setup seems it would fit easier. I was able to find some 60 degree silicone couplers also, so might try both.

If i make an order from siliconeintakes.com i'll post how it went and the end result
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwriess View Post
Thanks XtrmDC2, by a quick look your setup seems it would fit easier. I was able to find some 60 degree silicone couplers also, so might try both.

If i make an order from siliconeintakes.com i'll post how it went and the end result
45 degrees elbow work perfectly