PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about custom TTAB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question about custom TTAB

Hi guys this is my first post in the forum an I have a quick question. Got an
'03 Gt. I was replacing the battery recently and upon removing the airbox discovered that the stock turbo to air box tube had dry rotted around the turbo inlet. Instead of ponying up 90 bucks for a new oem tube with all the silencers and 1 1/2" restriction I just went to the junkyard and found a bunch of smooth 3" intake tubing with the right bends and pieced together a TTAB of my own. The tubing I used for the 90 degree bend up was hard rubber that doesnt squeeze..connected to a vacuum line coupler made by spectre with the 3 openings that you can buy at the auto parts store for like 14 bucks. But the last piece thats like a 45 degree bend to meet up with the airbox is the piece in question. Its high temp rubber..but its fairly easy to squeeze...so should I have any worries with this being under pressure at full boost?? I mean its only 8 lbs boost so I imagine it should be fine...and it already spent god knows how long sucking air from the tore up stock tube directly into the turbo...so this has to be better than the way it was right? My question is about performance...will i see an improvement in holding boost/accelerating etc. if I replace this soft section of tube with somithing stronger and less squeezable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Question about custom TTAB

Btw I guess I should mention its bone stock except for the silencers being removed from inside the airbox and snorkel...and a drop in K&N filter.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You will definitively get a better throttle response. I think it cost me about $60 from Ebay parts.

BTW,here is mine:

Old 13 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That looks really good XtrmDC2! Im strapped for cash at the moment..ive got about 25 bucks into my TTAB so far. So Im hoping to just take another trip up to the junkyard. Im certain I can find a 45 degree tube thats made of the same better quality material like the 90 degree end..which has no flex to it and doesnt squeeze at all. Do you think i'll be okay as long as I replace that piece with one thats rigid and doesnt collapse at all under the vacuum of the turbo? I feel like the rest of the setup is solid...i used spectre 2.5 to 3" connector from autozone at the turbo inlet. Im sure theyre not rated like some of the nice high temp silicone elbows ive seen people talking about on here...but I shouldnt be worried about overheating of that connector right? at least no worse than the original oem part which took from 2003 till sometime in the recent past to get brittle and rotted..
Old 13 Sep 2011, 11:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

Yes it would be fine.... There is no boost pressure in this piece, its just going to suck air from the air filter, the boost pressure its made from the turbo to the intercooler, and from the intercooler to the TB, that's where you need to have quality parts...because you can get boost leaks... so no problem there, Ive read of guys using plumbing tubes in there to make a hard pipe, I would not go for that... but some times low budget makes you take some right or wrong decisions, but there is no risk there with your materials... With time you can go with the option from XtrmDC2... you can hear the turbo whistle from the cool side a lot more, and better response, and if you drive not to aggressive you can even save in mpg

Cheerios
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok sounds good. I definitely want to switch to XtrmDC2's setup in the near future..but I appreciate the piece of mind Niel, knowing im not gonna be killing my baby in the meantime. BTW I can already feel a slight difference in how fast the turbo spools just in opening everything up to 3"..And it definitely upped the intimidation factor hearing her roar a lil louder! So im excited to replace this last little piece and get that throttle response..shes gonna be a lil speed demon. Oh and another btw..ive seen lots of ppl on here talking bout our GTs being mid 15 cars stock? Well I can definetly say thats bogus. I took my car to the track about 6 months ago with my buddy and his '10 Mazda speed 3. Ran consistent 15.2s all night..this is with ONLY a K&N drop in, and the back seats taken out...this is even before i knew about the silencers and white donut. My best time was 15.19 @ like 92 mph.. dont remember the exact mph but thats the time. My buddy killed me all night running 14.4s with his stock Mazda(which i think is slow for his car imho).That was to be expected. But what I didnt expect is that I took him off the line every single time..and kept the lead till around the 1/8 mile mark. I have been highly impressed with our Cruisers since then..so all of you that are runnin 15s with mods done...I would check for boost leaks or something..or friggin learn how to drive! haha
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:30 am
Cool Cruiser

My airbox to turbo pipe dry rotten out too, I replaced the whole thing with parts from advanced. cost me less than $60.00. Works great, good throttle response, more growl, and way more turbo whistle. I have the Spectre 3" to 2.5" and the 3" to 3" on mine and they work great. I had to cut some of the tubing to get the correct height, but after some alterations all is good. Good luck and Enjoy.

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 14 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah your right, depending on the mods, and the wight and stuff... Ive read about guys with stage 1 that are running 14s or less, remember to remove the back seats... they add wight and our cars are like an SRT4 but on a McDonalld diet lol... and depending on the Transmission you have... the autos are slower than the Sticks, Mine is an 03 GT Autosticks, and remember not to boost in 4th gear because its like an overdrive, I read a time a go at the PT CREW forum about a guy making mods to members for the last gear and stuff but I really don't know much about that... Ive never run in a track only with a Buick Regal that I use to have and I thought I was quick with my 2,000 ton car lol, I was doing like 16 seconds (LAME) but kill a lot of mustangs, those where my opponents and one or 2 hondas, Now that I have the PT I know what is fast for real and I don't have too many mods, I recommend the hard pipes and the Needswings.com Downpipe, that will make a huge difference... I really don't run that much only when I'm in a hurry but No track no run...
Old 14 Sep 2011, 01:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The stock TTAB has a silencer in it that constricts airflow. A custom TTAB increases airflow, but will do nothing for turbo spool unless you also have a aftermarket drop in air filter and replace the stock turboback exhaust with a larger diameter more free flowing one.

"...........our cars are like an SRT4.........." This remark always puts a smile on my face. I have both and my GT isn't even close to my SRT4.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 02:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Question about custom TTAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
The stock TTAB has a silencer in it that constricts airflow. A custom TTAB increases airflow, but will do nothing for turbo spool unless you also have a aftermarket drop in air filter and replace the stock turboback exhaust with a larger diameter more free flowing one.

"...........our cars are like an SRT4.........." This remark always puts a smile on my face. I have both and my GT isn't even close to my SRT4.
Haha yeah... That's why I say that they are on a Mac Donal's diet LOL the GT is fat and robust I have a friend that goes to the track in his SRT4 Yellow... He was doing 13 sec per run, then he buy a lot of carbon fibber thingies ,and that thing the last time I saw him at the track he was doing 12.xxx... No way a PT can beat that with out a load of mods, I mean is the same engine, with some factory mods for the pt hood but, my friend allays ask for pt cruiser gt parts at the autopart stores because if he ask for an srt4 engine he gets owned by the guys there... Here in Mexico if you own an Audi A4 2011 and ask for parts for a VW Jetta Sport 2011, that here basically its the same car, you get the same part at a cheap price... but if you ask for an Audi part you get the same part 3 times expensive.... It sucks! ... Even at the Local Autozone, don't know why but that's an issue here in Mexicouuu!

Cheerios!