Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water Pump & Timing Belt Replaced - Ruined my PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2011, 09:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Water Pump & Timing Belt Replaced - Ruined my PT

Oh my God. I am really ticked off right now. Sorry for venting here!

My PT, which I maintain regularly started to somehow go above the temperature level. It just so happened on an early morning while idle in the parking lot with AC on, the temperature warning sound came up. Shut the engine off, went to work, on the way home it overheated. Luckily I was able to get home without going on the red mark. I bought this car with 72K on it. I'm only on 78K right now. Engine runs smooth, no AC problem, turbo kicks in great.

Next day I brought the car to a local shop as directed. They told me I almost have 80k on it and its time to replace timing belt and water pump and needs an evac recharge.

Took 6 days to complete as per "mechanic", the parts that were delivered are incorrect. Ok...

The mechanic had a hard time with the timing belt. I know that for sure. Here's the first problem:

1. He jacked the engine up probably too high and we heard a "snapping sound" kinda like a metal snapping. He then began shaking the engine and said "I think that's the jack giving up.." Face palm right there.

2. I left then returned the next day hoping all is set. Started the car then engine started to misfire and really bogs down as if the engine is about to die. CEL came up. Hurried back to the shop office and complained. Then they told me "Oh, you need a tune up! Probably new spark plugs and wires and probably coils." I know I have to replace it at 80k anyway so I already got it ordered. I told them im not gonna drive the car with that CEL on. The mechanic said "Well it wasn't there this morning!" So what, I did this to my car? man!!!!

3. Mechanic gets a error reader, it read 2 engine misfire then he "deleted" the code and began reving hard and said "you just need to help it and and warm her up and that's it"

I mean WTF man???!!!! I brought this car here then it came out with hundred problems!

4. CEL isn't there any more and I decided to bring the PT home. Still bogs down and lots of misfire on idle but runs 90% smooth but I know the car too well she definitely different now. Weird vibrations all around the car and when I open the hood, the whole engine is swingin back and fort! Also when putting her on neutral, engine seems like its gonna give up but will recover up.

5. I got home, checked the car myself and noticed that they might have drove the car somewhere else!!! Mud marks all over, Chrome rims covered in mud! And I found some fries at the back seat!!!

6. Mechanic also forgot to re-install the part of the wheel well cover (where it protects the gears and the timing belt) down below behind the shock and struts. I called the shop and they told me they had to yank it out and they cant install it any more! Now i'm pretty sure when it rains here that side of engine will be wet!

I don't want to go back there anymore but I have to. I'm bringing the new plugs, wires and coil and see. Im just afraid that they might destroy the car some more...

Any suggestions on what might have gone wrong? By the way, This PT I got from DriveTime. I know... really bad huh? They sent me to a there authorized mechanic that made a rather bad overheating problem to worse. Forgot to mention about the AC. After the evac recharge, usually my AC on 2nd setting is really cold now I need to put to 3rd setting just to get the cool air blow in. This sucks!

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.

Last edited by blackjersey; 27 Sep 2011 at 09:53 pm. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Water Pump & Timing Belt Replaced - Ruined my PT

Sound like a bad engine strut and possible that the timing is off a tooth. Hate to hear your having issues like this. I would pressure/threaten them to have it fixed at their expense at a dealership but i have read horror stories their to. Maybe ask around for someone in your area that has good work done on cruisers?
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
Sound like a bad engine strut and possible that the timing is off a tooth. Hate to hear your having issues like this. I would pressure/threaten them to have it fixed at their expense at a dealership but i have read horror stories their to. Maybe ask around for someone in your area that has good work done on cruisers?
I really wanted to go a dealership but DriveTime gets their own. I won't drive the car like that. I sent a copy to my lawyer as well just in case I want to file an action. I'm giving them 1 more chance to make this right. If not then I'll see them in court.

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The timing is off , IMO
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
The timing is off , IMO
Thanks for the input. I'm really hoping that's the only thing that is off.

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 03:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When you say they "jacked the engine up probably too high and we heard a "snapping sound" kinda like a metal snapping", may I ask, WTF was he doing jacking up your engine? Sh*t dude, there are so many things he probably bent, broke or pulled loose that it's hard to estimate the damage.

Here's a list of what I'd check, and some of this I'd check myself if I were you, and photograph!
  • Wiring - could have pulled part of your harness loose!
  • Ground straps - they are all over the place, I'd wander around that engine and see if any pulled loose.
  • Motor mounts - he likely hosed one up, if not at least two. That may have been the snapping sound.
  • Fuel lines - better verify that he didn't pull those loose!
  • Brake lines - ditto!
  • Exhaust - better check around where the manifold meets the downpipe, only takes an idiot to lift an engine without loosening the connections to the exhaust.

Personally, I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs as soon as they get it back together. I'd hit your local city counsel to let them know what kind of a rip-off artist this mechanic is. I'd immediately file a grievance with the BBB! This guy sounds like a monumental schmuck!
Old 28 Sep 2011, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with everything Chromenut just said...and more. Do not take the plugs and wires back to this guy. He sounds like a complete moron. The wheel well cover; how the heck can they say they can't put it back it. If they broke it taking it out then it's their responsibility to buy you a new one to put it back the way it was. The whole engine swinging back and forth: like Chrome mentioned, he probably broke one of the engine mounts. What an idiot! Lastly, like the others said, he most likely didn't get the timing right. Even experienced owners have had a hard time lining it back correctly and your guy sounds like he got his mechanical license at Pep Boys. It's going to have to be taken all apart again to get it right. Don't let him touch the PT again unless it's to buy you a new inner fender and put it back the way it was before he touched it.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

everything that has been sais is DEAD ON you can do the plugs and wires and there is no reason to change the coil they almost NEVER go bad

and the timing is for sure 1 tooth off its so easy to do and so much of a pain to fix
Old 28 Sep 2011, 09:45 am
Cool Cruiser

You all are better men than myself.

There wouldn't have been too many words on my part, except for when the police showed up. "I want my lawyer".

F*ck up my car... I'll F*ck your face!!

Document every penny and minute youve spent with that moron. Theres no denying paper trails. I'll be rooting for you and praying for your PT. Good luck!

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 28 Sep 2011, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
everything that has been sais is DEAD ON you can do the plugs and wires and there is no reason to change the coil they almost NEVER go bad

and the timing is for sure 1 tooth off its so easy to do and so much of a pain to fix
Agree.
Also, unless the water pump was failing, I don't see timing belt/water pump being cause of your overheating!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles