Old 10 Jan 2004, 08:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster
Default Transmission leak

Is the famous transmission leak?

http://members.cox.net/ballster/Images/hoseleak.jpg

Whatever it is, here is my fix.
http://members.cox.net/ballster/Images/hoseclamp.jpg

As usual I didn't finish writing the thought.
1. The view is the bottom aft LH (looking forward) section of the radiator. You be able to see this with an inspection mirror if its properly placed. However the only way to verify the tightness of the clamp is to pull the hose toward the aft end of the car, if you pull the hose and it moves clamp it. And if you pull on the hoses and it doesn't move clamp it.

FWIWM2C

macster

Old 10 Jan 2004, 10:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

I have been meaning to check the remainder of my hoses. I also want to replace all of those springy clamps with the screw-gear type clamps, or even those expensive fittings Moss Motors has.

Does anyone have a complete list of the sizes of hose clamps used?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 10:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

I saw mine last weekend when I had it on the jack stands, did not have a small enough worm clamp, on my to do list. Nice pics Macster.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3” down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 11 Jan 2004, 02:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LAF

I saw mine last weekend when I had it on the jack stands, did not have a small enough worm clamp, on my to do list. Nice pics Macster.
In an emergency one of those plastic ties would work if you pull it tight enough. Back in the old days we called them "strap ties" and we pulled them tight with a strap tie gun. Learned that when AE "A" school was in Jax.

Thanks for the props on the pics. My camera was having fits focusing, I was trying to get a good shot, and position the light at the same time. I must of took about 20 shots trying to get a good enough image to post. I guess its time to read the book. BTW, I also took images of where I tapped in for my boost/vaccum gage. The whole install came out very well and looked primo.

http://members.cox.net/ballster/Images/boostvac.jpg

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 11 Jan 2004, 01:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ya, those were good shots. Tip to help us n00bs: if you can, take another shot at a wider angle/further back to show relative location. I can barely find my way out of a paper bag. Those plastic ones? Oh, forget it!

What's will all these freakin' chalk-marks all over our cars!? They do not come out as easily as one would think.

I should probably get a tool to pinch-off the hoses before I go changing the clamps, eh? Is there something more elegant than vice-grips and a rag?

hehehe, "worm clamp", why don't you just say "c@ck ring"
Old 11 Jan 2004, 05:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rolo

Ya, those were good shots. Tip to help us n00bs: if you can, take another shot at a wider angle/further back to show relative location. I can barely find my way out of a paper bag. Those plastic ones? Oh, forget it!

What's will all these freakin' chalk-marks all over our cars!? They do not come out as easily as one would think.

I should probably get a tool to pinch-off the hoses before I go changing the clamps, eh? Is there something more elegant than vice-grips and a rag?

hehehe, "worm clamp", why don't you just say "c@ck ring"

The hoseclamp is right under the bottom aft section of the radiator. Stand in front of the car on the drivers side and position yourself right at where the battery meets the radiator. You want to go straight down from there to the bottom of the car. If you use an inspection mirror you can see the two lines, one hard, the other hard with a rubber hose coming from it. Using the picture as a guide you should find it pretty quick. Now as for the repair, just slide the hose up to the fitting as far as you can and then clamp it. Yeah, don't take the old clamp off, its just not worth the trouble it may cause. There is enough room on the fitting for the addtional hose clamp. Also watch how you tighten it down, because you don't want to deform the fitting. If this doesn't do it, let me know, because we 50+er's have to stick togther.

Donot pinch that hose, don't muck with it. (Rolo I hope that this didn't come off wrong,I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I'm just trying to say that, that hard line with a rubber hose transistion, apears to be a bear to change if it's messed up), so if you are mechanically impaired like me, just slide that puppy forward to the radiator and install a hose clamp behind the factory clamp and you should be fine.)

Another way to find the hose is to stand in front of the car and reach down to the Aft bottom RH side of the intercooler and gently move your hand along that area, you should be able to feel the fitting.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 12 Jan 2004, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

great pics
Old 12 Jan 2004, 03:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Bob

Thanks, they would of turned out better if I would read the manual for the camera.

macster

Old 13 Jan 2004, 04:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

No, mac, you weren't obnoxious! And even if you were, I have no problem with one being obnoxious, for that would probably make me a hypocrit, heh. One person's obnoxious is another's passionate.

I mentioned the pinching to solicit a response, good or bad. These hoses seem a little brittle and pinching them may adversely affect them then. Should they be replaced with silicone hoses?

I need to see if there are proper torques for the various c@ck rings to prevent deforming the fittings as you say, but tight enough to keep it on there. I guess when the hose starts to get "squishy" then it is tight enough..? I am not mechanically impaired, I just have no experience and would rather not have to learn too much the hard way, heh.

I want to replace all of the factory hose clamps with nice shiny <sophmoric chuckle>...worm clamps to keep everything properly fastened and dress it up. Plus, I think the factory ones just suck.

Any opinions out there on the billet fittings at Moss? Do they work well?

Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rolo

No, mac, you weren't obnoxious! And even if you were, I have no problem with one being obnoxious, for that would probably make me a hypocrit, heh. One person's obnoxious is another's passionate.

Thanks

I mentioned the pinching to solicit a response, good or bad. These hoses seem a little brittle and pinching them may adversely affect them then. Should they be replaced with silicone hoses?

No its hose that's crimped on one end to a hard line. There would be couple of ways of fixing that line if it was bad.

1. Replace it
2. Splice it with another piece of hose and clamps.
That's all I can come up with right now. I dunno how tranny fluid would affects the silicon hoses.

I need to see if there are proper torques for the various c@ck rings to prevent deforming the fittings as you say, but tight enough to keep it on there. I guess when the hose starts to get "squishy" then it is tight enough..? I am not mechanically impaired, I just have no experience and would rather not have to learn too much the hard way, heh.

I tighten mine down to where it was snug and gave it a good pull toward the aft section of the car, about 210 macster Ftlbs of torque. I did watch to see how the rubber was bulging and etc. All in all I felt good about the tightness, well as much as an impaired mechanic can.

I want to replace all of the factory hose clamps with nice shiny <sophmoric chuckle>...worm clamps to keep everything properly fastened and dress it up. Plus, I think the factory ones just suck.

Agreed

Any opinions out there on the billet fittings at Moss? Do they work well?

I haven't looked at them, but for the most parts those factory clamps work, I haven't had a problem with the ones in my DCX mini van and it has a 105K miles on it.