Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I can't believe this is happening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy I can't believe this is happening

So - if anyone out there has had similar problems to what I'm about to describe, info. would be much appreciated. Bought a 2005 GT Turbo last week. No sooner drove it off the lot than the check engine light came on. Keep in mind the car only has 53,000 miles on it.

Partner drove the car - noted it was idling and revving at an extremely high rate without acclerating.

Returned it for service - they replaced all spark plugs/wires and did a fuel induction system cleaning service, based on the diagnostic results

Got the car back and drove it one day with no issues. Second day, it was sluggish accelerating, the check engine light came on again. Finally kicked into gear, and the light went out. Same thing happened later in the day, minus the light. Did the same thing again the following morning... And again that evening on the way to take BACK for service - this time, the light stayed on and it was belching thick white smoke. And - my gas mileage went from approx. 25.7 mpg to probably less than 20 mpg... NOT good.

I love the car - but at $9200 invested this is turning into a nightmare. I believe the dealer will do what's necessary to 'make it right', but I want to be sure they aren't missing anything, since they are actually a Honda dealer, not a Chrysler dealer.

Last edited by lpetzold; 30 Sep 2011 at 10:02 pm. Reason: misspelled word effecting context
Old 30 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I can't believe this is happening

Did you take the car for a long ride before buying or have it looked at by a professional? Hopefully that Honda dealer will get it fixed but doesn't sound good with the white smoke although it could be as simple as a cracked head gasket. There's no way to tell how the original owner treated the car or why they traded it in. Maybe too many hard trips down the drag strip or not using the correct (Synthetic) fluid. Hope it turns out to something simple, then come back here and I'm sure the Turbo owners here will how to start treating your GT so it will last a long time.