PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Cam/Crank Position Sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Cam/Crank Position Sensor

I'm still trying to figure out what's causing my car to misfire and chug down on idle. I have an original thread where as the mechanic replaced water pump and timing belt and when I got the car back, she hesitates, vibrates, now all cylinders keeps misfiring and idles very poorly as if the car will puke the engine out and just today while changing parking spots, while backing up the car and put the gear to reverse, the engine just died on me. No check engine light. I was able to start her up without problems.

Actually I brought her back to the shop yesterday because when I stated the engine up, it immediately misfired and idled very poorly. So now the shop is telling me that they will call my dealer and probably request for a replacement engine. Too much of a hassle now.

In my quest to bring my car back to it's former glory, and I've been reading a lot of this problem lately and though scanner shows all cylinders misfire now, is it ok for me to try to replace the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor?

The cam position sensor is really easy to install (thank to various forum post here) but I know the crank sensor will be PITA.

In modernperformance website they have:

Mopar OEM Crank Position Sensor 03-05 Neon SRT4
Mopar OEM Crank Position Sensor 03-05 Neon SRT4 - Sensors

and

Mopar OEM Cam Position Sensor 95-05 Neon 2.0L & 2.4L DOHC
Mopar OEM Cam Position Sensor 95-05 Neon 2.0L & 2.4L DOHC - Sensors

I was wondering if they are compatible with my 2004 PT GT 2.4L and are they really OEM Mopar? I hope they are because I read that our PT doesn't like aftermarket ones.

Thanks!

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cam/Crank Position Sensor

Honestly, it sounds like to me, a simple case of them mis-timing the engine when the replaced the belt.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:45 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I don't know if they are the same, but you can get them at mopar-wholesale.com for $42.26 for the cam and $31.57 fro the crank sensors.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:46 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Honestly, it sounds like to me, a simple case of them mis-timing the engine when the replaced the belt.
They checked the timing belt 3 tomes now. The owner of the shop said they can;t seem to figure out why this is happening. He told me that he's gonna call drivetime to and see if they can get the engine replaced.

My neighbor told me to take the car to another shop and have the timing belt re-checked. I will do that this Thursday.

For now I'm banking on the cam/crank position sensors. Are those from modernperformance SRT sensors compatible with ours?

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I don't know if they are the same, but you can get them at mopar-wholesale.com for $42.26 for the cam and $31.57 fro the crank sensors.
Thanks man i'll give it a try! If this fail, old engine out or 2011 Audi A6.

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.