Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
not enough boost!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2011, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default not enough boost!!

Ok, so I hear that a pt with stage 1 runs 12-13 lbs of boost. Well mine ranges from 8-10 lbs. So I have been trying to fix that recently, tried a new wastegate and did some hose clamping...Still nothing, no power off the line and not much boost. So I unhooked the wastegate and the boost will shoot all the way across the boost gauge. So, when the wastegate is hooked up and I'm not getting enough boost, wouldn't it be a mechanical problem? Abviously it has no boost leaks, otherwise how would it build that much boost unhooked? I assume there is a boost sensor of some type, that limits/gives more boost, is it possible that could be bad? Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Old 11 Nov 2011, 05:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: not enough boost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeiniowa View Post
Ok, so I hear that a pt with stage 1 runs 12-13 lbs of boost. Well mine ranges from 8-10 lbs. So I have been trying to fix that recently, tried a new wastegate and did some hose clamping...Still nothing, no power off the line and not much boost. So I unhooked the wastegate and the boost will shoot all the way across the boost gauge. So, when the wastegate is hooked up and I'm not getting enough boost, wouldn't it be a mechanical problem? Abviously it has no boost leaks, otherwise how would it build that much boost unhooked? I assume there is a boost sensor of some type, that limits/gives more boost, is it possible that could be bad? Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Really looking to ruin your engine without the wastegate. Really stupid thing to do. You overboost and you'll blow a hole in your block. Stage 1 should spike to around 15 psi and drop to around 12-13. If you have not zip tied all of your vacuum lines and put t-bolt clamps on the intercooler hoses then you definitely have boost leaks. Worm drive clamps suck big time.
When was the last time the plugs were changed? What kind of plugs, what, gap are you using, last time you replaced plug wires?
Old 12 Nov 2011, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

well with the wastegate I was out on the road and I unplugged it, saw it build boost, then plugged it back up. I put a new coil pack, plugs, and plug wires on it recently, all were purchased from modern performance. I gapped them .038. Does anyone have a diagram of the vac/boost lines, so I know were to look and what hoses to either replace and or clamp.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 09:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

VAC line diagram is posted on your vehicle at the front end, big sticker there. I also agree, you're going to grenade your engine if you pull that wastegate!!!!!!! That is something you NEVER should do with any turbo.

Now talking about boost, you are running right at factory boost. How are you achieving stage 1? And NO, it's not a mechanical problem and quite doubtful that it's a vacuum problem, but you need to verify that regardless. 04gt said it perfectly - go over your entire engine and make sure every hose and every vacuum line is locked, latched, zip tied, something.

I gotta ask this, do you know what you're doing? I mean you obviously want to achieve stage 1, but you've not commented anything about your setup. Do you have a Stage 1 ECM installed? Or are you running a DSP with custom program or something? How exactly is it that you're trying to achieve stage 1, that is the big gnarly question here.

Another thing, you replaced your coil pack with after market? Are you aware that, if you are going to run this on a track or racing where ever, that this coil will likely break down in less than a year? WTF would you swap the factory coil when it's sturdier than just about any after market, unless you're talking about top end racing products up in S2/S3 domain. Who's brand of coil did you install???

Dude, I don't mean to bust your chops, I'm here only to help out, but you sound like you are on the way to the grenade grounds. If I were you, before you go off the deep end modding your PT further, I'd at least check the forums to see if what ever it is you're going to use has already been tried. And if you want to speak directly with PT racers, since I'm retired, then go over to PTCrew.com and talk to them. Just DON'T tell them what you've told us, or you will get laughed off their forums. They are not um.... lets say politically correct over there, even though they are full of knowledge.....and BS.....

Last edited by Chromenut; 12 Nov 2011 at 09:30 am.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 10:25 am
Regular Cruiser

What wga are you running? Perhaps a problem with the actuator or vac line going to it, have you tried swapping the factory unit back in?
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 12 Nov 2011, 11:31 am
Senior Cruiser

DO NOT UNHOOK THE WGA, or 'not enough boost' will turn into a 'bigass paperweight with a hole in it'-- trust me, it's not fun.

PCM will limit boost.

Are you auto or manual?

Also, what are the ambient temperatures where you're located? It's not unnatural to see lower boost levels in cooler weather.

Old 12 Nov 2011, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am currently running the factory wastegate. The coil I installed is a granetelli? I just read it was bigger, and better... probably BS. I never read anywhere that that coil isn't as good as the stock one. Anyway when I unhooked the wastegate, I watched my boost gauge to make sure it didn't get to far out of hand. I have an automatic an recently it's been about 40-50's temp wise. The Stage 1 is the mopar computer I bought from a member on this forum. Thanks for all your help guys!!
Old 12 Nov 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What year is your PT and did you up the injectors? Are you running an AEM or AFR gauge, if so what are you running at, at about half throttle?
Old 12 Nov 2011, 11:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is an 03...yes I upgraded the injectors. I have not installed a wideband yet.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 01:28 am
Senior Cruiser

I still vote boost leak.

Even with a decent-sized leak, you'll build boost. The only time I would ever NOT see boost is when I'd completely blow the coupler on the hotside pipe.

The wastegate is working correctly as it is actually set to open at 4psi. The reason the GTs operate at a higher boost level is that the PCM controls when that '4psi' is actually "shown" to the wastegate, causing it to open. The fact that you're achieving boost levels higher than 4psi says two things: 1) the wastegate is operating correctly, and 2) the PCM is regulating boost levels.

So, you've either: a) got a boost leak somewhere, b) didn't install your boost gauge correctly (or you have a pinched vac line), or c) have a crapped out boost gauge.

I still vote boost leak.

My suggestion would be to pick up a boost leak tester (Modern Performance) or create your own. I think last time I checked it was ~$15. That will allow you to use an air compressor to pressurize your intercooler piping and if you have a leak, you'll know it immediately.

As always, just my 2 cents.